Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I Challenge Thee.... A Dylusions Tag!

Hi everyone!

Over the New Year's Holiday my friend Hels Sheridan and I had a long Skype session and thought it would be fun to re-visit our "I Challenge Thee" projects!  I haven't played with my Dylusions stamps in a while, and Hels got a few sets for Christmas, so that seemed perfect!  We came up with several products that we both had to use on our tag, agreed on a time to post to our blogs, and then spent the rest of our Skype time making our tags together in real time!  FUN!  What did we ever do without Skype?  So cool!

Here's the "recipe" we came up with:

Jumbo size tag (4 1/4" x 8 1/2")
Dylusions stamp sets: Basic Backgrounds, Quintessential Quotes and Around the Edges
Color Wash spray inks
Stencils optional
White and/or Black gesso
Tim's Rosette dies (small, medium and/or large)
Idea-ology / embellishments of choice
White pen

(all products are available from Simon Says Stamp)

Here's what I came up with:


I started by creating a color wash spray background, using butterscotch, wild plum, sailboat blue, lettuce and red pepper sprays.  I sprayed a generous amount of water on the tag before I sprayed the colors, and did two layers of color, drying with a heat tool in-between layers.  This gives you more intense colors, which I love.

Then I used the alphabet stamp from Basic Backgrounds, and stamped it randomly using red pepper color wash spray as the ink.  I just sprayed a few times on my craft sheet and dabbed the stamp into the ink.  I used the same technique with the harlequin (diamond) stamp, but used gesso for the stamping.


Then I used the "squircle" stencil from Crafter's Workshop and sprayed Dylusions granite spray ink through the stencil.  It's important to spray from a bit of a distance so you don't get puddles of ink under the stencil.

Now that the background was done, I stamped the leaf/vine stamp over the background with jet black archival ink, and colored in each leaf with perfect pearls powders mixed with water (makes an awesome paint) - I used green patina and perfect gold.  Accented each leaf with a white gelly roll pen.


Now it's time to embellish!  I used scraps of leftover paper from my Painted Pages book (click HERE to see that post) and cut the large and medium rosette from Tim's die, then stacked them together.  Added a timepiece and game spinner to the center, and some idea-ology wings to the sides.

I also made a small rosette and added just a portion of it to each corner, adding a mini bottle cap in the corners as the rosette centers.


The final touch was to add the sentiment from the Quintessential Quotes stamp set.  I cut the words apart to make the sentiment flow down the length of the tag.

This was so much fun!  I'm glad Hels and I decided to get back to our "I Challenge Thee" projects - it's a great way to craft/make art with a friend, no matter the distance... thank you SKYPE!   Be sure to check out Hels' amazing creation on her blog HERE.  It always amazes me how we can use the same products and come up with something totally different!

Hope you're having a good first week of the new year!  See you soon!

~ ellen.

16 comments:

Adventures in Arts and Crafts said...

Ok, I'm doing it! I'm ordering the stamp with those amazing leaves on it. Of course it would be here this week, but I will send you a link when I get my first piece done. Love looking at all your projects.

Helen said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!! Love the bold colours. Fab, simply fab.

Juls said...

this is fabulous!! Loving the gorgeous colours you have used! Hugs Juls

Candy C said...

Oh my gosh, Ellen...this is INSANE! I totally LOVE it!!! Wow!!! It almost looks like batik or something!! Hels is complaining about losing her Mojo lately...I think it skipped across "the pond" and landed at your house! Wow...this is fabulous! <3 Candy

Lynne Forsythe said...

HOLY CRAP Ellen....you tag is TOTALLLY AMAZING!!! and a Skype session tooo booot....now that's what I call a GREAT TIME!!!

betjunroe said...

Awesome tag Ellen. Love the colors and, of course, the Dylusions stamps. Especially love the altered rosettes in the corners. Bette

Von said...

Wow stunning work :)
Von x

Caz said...

Amazing to see the difference between the tags using the same ingredients.
Love them both - two amazingly talented ladies!!
Hugs
Caz
x

Hels Sheridan said...

loooove your tag... tis delightful! Thanks for setting me the challenge to get the old Mojo spiced up again... big hugs xx

Otter Blue said...

Wowza! So much fabulousness going on...it's great!

Gillian .... said...

Holy moly Ellen this is D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.L.Y awesome ... LOVE LOVE LOVE all the Dylusional goodies. Hope you had a fab festive season. xx

Kirsten Alicia said...

Such a beautiful tag, the colours are gorgeous.

Dylan said...

Hey gorgeous, I frikkin love it. You always come up trumps with my stamps. Can't wait to see you at Queenies. Mwah xxx

Marjie Kemper said...

Fantastic! Oh, Ellen, I love your super rich colors and how the white just pops off them. This is fabulous!!!

Sarah said...

Fabulous colours, detail and layers as only you can do Ellen! Looks amazing. Lots of loveliness to see here this week - hope you will enjoy your prize spree and score big time by using your DT discount - oooh, so many goodies will be coming your way!
Sarah.

Heidi said...

Thank you for visiting and comment in my blog:))
It's always fun to get to know others with the same great hobby as myself ..
Perhaps you would like to see my next project too ... coming soon!
I like your tag, great colours.. :)))

have a great day!
Hug, Heidi:)