Sunday, January 8, 2012

Simon Says Stamp and Show - A Red Letter Day

Hello!

This week's theme on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is to do a project which recognizes a "red letter day".... what's THAT you ask??? Well, I'll tell you... I didn't know either... here's the definition I found via Google...

Meaning:  "In earlier times a church festival or saint's day; more recently, any special day."

So... not so confusing once you know what it means.  This week I chose to do a very simple project to celebrate a very simple man... my father.  He passed away several years ago, and it just seemed like the perfect day to remember.


I started by printing out an old photo of my Dad on Neenah white card stock (isn't that old jalopy awesome?) and adhered it to a #8 manila tag with multi medium matte. Then I added some alpha parts to "remember", including "dad" and the date he passed away.  I accented the alpha parts with snow cap paint dabber, which was then lightly brushed over with some vintage photo distress ink.


I used a pearl pen to add the black dots between the numbers in the date, and to highlight 'dad' at the bottom.  Added some brushed corduroy distress ink to the edges to add to the vintage feel, and some ribbon to top it off.

This is one of the simplest tags I think I've ever made, but the subject matter more than makes up for its simplicity.  My dad wasn't one to make a big fuss about much, so it seems a fitting way to remember him.

Hope you have a great week and take some time to join in the fun of this week's challenge.  As always, you'll have a chance at winning a $50 shopping spree to Simon Says Stamp!  At this time of year, with CHA looming close on the horizon, I know we could all use a chance at some free stash! 


Next weekend I'm heading off to my semi-annual "Stamp Camp" with all my local arty friends - can't wait!  I've got a few projects in mind but haven't decided on which one I want to do... time will tell! 

'til next time....

~ ellen.

8 comments:

Candy C said...

Ellen...your tag as a remembrance to your dad is so wonderful! I love that picture! It really is awesome. Love the tie! haha I love how you finished the Alpha Parts letters and numbers. Your dad would be so proud of this and that you considered him for your Red Letter Day. I love your piece! <3 Candy

Helen said...

What a great tribute. Love your tag.

She said...

Oh Ellen, what a great Tag and a fitting tribute to your dad. Love it. S xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous tribute to your dad, love the image and the old jalopy. Your image works beautifully with the alpha letters and love the added dots. Tracy x

Terry said...

Hey there Ellen, I have allready told you but I will tell ya again that your Piece of Art is a fabulous way to remember your dad and a simple piece of art is allways an AMAZING piece of art. I just love it. a fabulous rememberance of your father. Cherish it sweetie, Hugs Terry xxxx

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

A very beautiful and significant tag, Ellen!! I just love the letters you used and what a great picture!!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Copying Kirsty said...

That is really lovely and a gorgeous reminder of your dad! Your blog is really inspiring.
x

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful tribute, Ellen. The grunge date looks just right with the cool car.