Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dylusions Tag Master Board Tutorial

Hello!

I've been wanting to do a tutorial for a while, so this is my first effort.  If you follow along on my blog, you'll remember the Dylusions Valentines tags I made for Dyan Reaveley's visit to The Queens Ink.  To create the tags, I did a "Master Board" so they would all have a similar feel to them, yet still be unique individually.  This is the technique I used... hope you enjoy it. 

For this Master Board, I started with a large (10" x 20") piece of water color paper (Fabriano Artistico - available HERE), several colors of Dylusions spray inks, and a water mister.


I started by spraying a very generous amount of water over half of the paper.  I like to work in sections on large pieces so the inks don't soak in too much, allowing for blending and bleeding.


Then I used the Dylusions spray inks, which blend immediately with the water.  Here's a shot showing the blending.


Then I repeated the process on the second half of the sheet, continuing the colors on the first half so they would blend nicely across the whole sheet.


At this point, you can blot the excess ink with a roll of paper towels, and then add more spray inks if desired to intensify the colors.  Here's the finished result after drying with a heat tool...


Now that we have a base of color, it's time to start adding layers of pattern and texture.  So of course I had to reach for the new Dylusions stencils and inks.  I stated with the alpha jumble stencil and postbox red spray ink.


Sprayed randomly across the page.


I repeated with the graduated circles stencil and crushed grape spray ink. 

Now it's time to add some texture, so I used the harlequin stencil and some white gesso.


I scraped the gesso through the stencil with a Ranger craft scraper.  This is NOT an exact process - be messy and random.  If you look closely, you'll notice that I used the stencil horizontally across the top of the page.  The only reason is that I know three #8 manila tags will fit, running across the top of the page.  So, the end result will be a tag where the harlequin pattern will run vertically.  You'll see later when we cut the Master Board down to tag size.


I felt like this Master Board still needed more pattern, so I went for the number jumble stencil and bright turquoise spray ink.


Here's the end result.


The Master Board is now complete, so it's time to decide how you want to cut it up.  I wanted to make tags, so I laid out the #8 tags across the whole sheet so I'd know where to cut.


I drew a line across the top of the sheet, measuring with the tag itself.


Then cut all the way across, separating the top and bottom sections.


I repeated the same process for the bottom section, using the tag to measure and draw lines to cut on.


Here are all the tags, nine in all, plus the one actual manila tag I used as a template.


Once again, I used the tag as a template and cut the two diagonal notches on each side and punched a hole in the center, using a standard hole punch from Office Depot / Staples, etc.


Et Voila!  A collection of tags with patterned / textured backgrounds, all ready for stamping, collage, doodling, painting - anything your heart desires!  You could even thread a ribbon through all nine and make a mini book, or sew them together with a sewing machine.  Let your imagine run free and have fun playing!


This is my first step-by-step tutorial, so I hope you enjoyed it.  Please let me know what you think - not enough detail? Too much detail?  I really do want them to be helpful and easy to follow, so give it to me straight!  Thanks for hanging in through a long post.  See you soon!

~ ellen.

30 comments:

Wanda H said...

Ellen, your tutorial is fantastic... I think there is just the right amount of pics and directions!!! I love the masterboard you created!!!!!!!!!!

Deb said...

Goldilocks would say this is "just right!" Lovely tutorial and tags. I've never seen the dylusions before - what makes them special/different? I love the bright colors & am always looking for new things to play with! :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely PERFECT tutorial! It is easy to follow and I am encouraged to try this now that I have read how you did it. Thank you!

Sara Jansen said...

I am having fits! I want the sprays NOW. I can't even find them yet.......I think I shall just weep if I actually read your post and can't play...ah, but i must be a big girl about this. So thank you for showing me what I will be able to do. Some. Day. In. The. Future.!;)

Neil said...

Hi there, That's a great masterboard. Thanks for taking us through the steps. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of the new stencils but just waiting for the ink which I know my store has just ordered! Your tutorial is very good. Thanks for sharing.

Helen said...

Just perfect - the tutorial is great, right blend of pics and info, and the finished results - beautiful! I want those stencils and sprays - NOW, lol. Where's my credit card.... Thanks Ellen.

Hels Sheridan said...

cor, this is, as everyone else has said, perfect!!! Love those tags, the colours are so vivid and go together soooo well... mmm, me needs some Dylusions lol Hope you having a good week hunny xxx

Gabrielle said...

I loved reading this! Thank you! I think I'm a little scared of trying the Dylusion sprays as I wasn't really sure how to use them. Now I am in doubt! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Marianne/skorpionen said...

Love love love the ink and stencils!! And your tags of course - gorgeous!!

Dots Dabbles said...

A great tutorial...easy step-by-step pics and written bits! The tags look fantastic!!!
Dot x

Eloise said...

The tutorial was perfect. i love how the tags came out. i did a masterboard once before and liked how everything came out. i'd love to see what you do with these tags.

Zuzu's Blog said...

wonderful run through. thank you for your generosity in sharing I will be trying this out and be sure to give credit back to your tutorial.

Leslie said...

Great Tutorial! Can't wait to get my hands on those inks! Loved taking the class with Dyan and love your refresher tutorial.

whyducks said...

Fabby!

Kaz said...

Love the tutorial Ellen ....what a great idea love the colours too x awesome x

Kaz x

Kirsten Alicia said...

Excellent tutorial, the tags look wonderful.

Hilda said...

Really well balanced and excellently written tutorial - your enthusiasm shines thru and I really want to play!!!! Thank you so much, I feel a biug spend coming on!!!

Rita said...

great Tutorial! I can't wait to get ahold of some of the dylusions ink but I haven't been able to locate any available yet in the States. Thanks for all the great inspiration!

Dragana said...

Thank you for a visit, a kind comment and even more so, thank you for a wonderful tutorial. I just might try to do this next...

Marjie Kemper said...

Tute #1 = a tremendous success! Love your colors and pics and how you've explained it (especially about orientation horizontally on the top to make the most of the board). Thanks Ellen!

Ana K. said...

Great tutorial, I hope that will be more! I just found out that I must have this sprays! :)
Greetings from Slovenia

Caz said...

Great tutorial!....never thought of doing tags that way before!
Now all I have to do is be patient for the sprays and stencils to make their way over here...........
Looking forward to the next tutorial - pretty please!?!?!?
xx

Debby said...

Nicely done. what a great way to get the tags to be similar yet not be all matchy -matchy.

Artyjen said...

Thanks for sharing the tute...it was fabby and just right ;)
xoxo Sioux

Candy C said...

Cool tutorial! I love it! This is a great idea for making alot of backgrounds for tags all in one swoop!!! I'm so jealous that you have Dy's sprays! I can't wait to get mine!!! Thanks for the tutorial!! It's wonderful! <3 Candy

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Ellen,
Oh, love this tutorial! Very cool. I don't have any number or letter stencils but can see now how much fun they would be.

thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Kay

Linda said...

This is so cool! I really must have those sprays ;)
I come back soon! Thank you.

Wendy Ward said...

Genius! Would have never thought to create an entire sheet and cut it INTO tags! So happy I was introduced to your site!

Kay Wallace said...

Brilliant! Love the step-by-step tutorial!

Rita E. said...

Thank you so much for the tut.