Hope you're all having a good week so far... the good news is we're half way to the weekend! Last weekend, Hels and I had a nice long Skype session and came up with a new "I Challenge Thee" project.
Sometimes when the old mojo disappears this is a great way to get it moving again. We'll come up with a combination of "ingredients" that we each have to use on our project, and then set the laptops aside and just talk and craft together - what an *awesome* way to spend a Sunday afternoon - what did we ever do before Skype?
Here's our recipe of ingredients:
Jumbo size tag
Multi Medium Resist technique
Paper Artsy Hot Picks stamps
Paper Artsy Fresco Finish Paints
Paper Artsy Metal on Card
Color Wash spray
Industrial Chic (Susan Lenart Kazmer) embellishments
Tim Holtz Rosette trim
I started by painting random thin lines of multi medium (matte) vertically on the jumbo manila tag. Then I used sunset orange and wild plum color wash spray to create the background, using water to help blend the colors together. The areas where I painted the multi medium resists the color wash sprays, leaving a streaked effect.
I used the grassy stamp from HP1005 at the bottom of the tag, and then used the spiky flower stamp from HP1004 over top of that, filling in the stems with a pitt pen if the stem didn't go all the way to the bottom of the tag. I used jet black archival ink because a water based ink wouldn't have stamped nicely
over the resist areas. Then I used the script image from HP1006 to randomly stamp over the whole background. I didn't mount the stamp on an acrylic block, but held it in a curved shape to get just patches of the script for a worn look.
Now for the flower... LOVE this flower! I used Paper Artsy dies (Grunge Flower #1, and Grunge Flower #2 and #3) to cut out three sizes of flower from Paper Artsy "Metal on Card" - which is sheet metal pre-mounted onto black card stock. Then I used three of Tim's texture fades to create different embossed patterns on each flower, and the leaves (which is part of the Grunge Flower #1 die set).
I used Fresco Finish paints (butternet and orchid for the flowers, and guacamole/toad hall for the leaves) and then sanded over the raised texture of each element to reveal the metal.
The rosette trim is also painted lightly with butternut and orchid fresco finish paints. The sentiment was stamped on the back of a journaling ticket. I used the same technique on this background so it would coordinate with the rest of the tag.
The final touch was adding the embellishments from Industrial Chic. I used the metal spikes and mini gears on several of the spiky flowers, a washer with the same mini gear on the large metal flower, and the "67" (a significant year for me) plaque at the top.
I hope our "I Challenge Thee" project inspires you to get out your craft stash and play! Feel free to substitute products where necessary. I know that Paper Artsy stamps, paints and dies aren't readily available in the US (although that's starting to change - thank you Simon Says Stamp! YAY!), and Industrial Chic embellishments aren't available in the UK, so just use what you have.
Hope the rest of your week goes quickly - come on Friday!