Monday, March 12, 2012

Simon Says Stamp and Show... Anything!

Hello!

How time flies... this past week just whizzed by, and here we are so soon with another Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!  This week is open for anything you care to create as the theme says... Anything Goes!  So, no excuses this week - get your art on and create something... anything!


I started with a 10" x 10" wood framed mirror from IKEA.  I stained the wood with bright turquoise Dylusions ink spray, applied with a baby wipe.  I love the shabby, beachy look!  (Sorry for the reflection of me in the picture above - photographing mirrors is a tricky business!)


I used  Dylusions ink sprays and stencils and 12 x 12 sticky back canvas to create a large background, and added some texture with gesso, circle stencils and the edge of a craft scraper. 


Once the background was finished I cut it down and covered 8 chipboard squares.  The beauty of sticky back canvas is that no adhesive is needed!  Simply peel the backing and stick it down! Easy!    Then I used black paint dabber rather than ink with Dylusions stamps to stamp the flying birds and the leafy border all the way around the edges.  I painted the leaves in with perfect pearls mixed with water and adhered to the frame with multi medium.


Then I stamped 3 different sentiments onto plain sticky back canvas with jet black archival ink, cut each sentiment up, and arranged them in various areas on the mirror.


I hope you've enjoyed this week's project.  As always, if you join in the challenge and post your creation on the challenge blog, you'll have a chance at winning a $50 shopping spree from Simon Says Stamp!


Have a great week!

~ ellen.

25 comments:

Helen said...

Looks gorgeous, Ellen! Always love an "anything goes" theme when time is short, lol!

Donna Bowman said...

That is a beautiful project!!!

Candy C said...

Ellen, your IKEA frame is too cool! I love the bright colors and all of the Dylusions images and sentiments you've used on this wonderful piece! It is waaaay cool! <3 Candy

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your home decor piece, great vibrant colours and the black stamping is a lovely contrast. Enjoy your week. Tracy x

Karenliz said...

Stunning and so colorful! What a wonderful project!

Kaz said...

I love this Ellen, sooooo gorgeous and very wonderful xxx

whyducks said...

Amazingly work, I really love it!

Marjie Kemper said...

This is so beautiful! I really love the way you have the birds flying across the different panels.

Eloise said...

WOW! Just Beautiful!

Debby said...

Gorgeous! can't wait to get my ink sprays!

Sara Jansen said...

I should have known this was you...this is truly FABULOUS. I would have never thought to alter a mirror. The colors, the stamps, the sensibility. All just amazing.

Kirsten Alicia said...

Gorgeous, just gorgeous.

Jessica Griffin said...

Oh my gosh, that's gorgeous!! I love how bright the colors are, and how the birds flow from one square to the next. Amazing project. Truly.

Lori said...

Way cool Ellen! Love those colors, they're delish! Well done!

Trina said...

What an awesome project! The colors are beautiful!!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

What an amazing project, Ellen! I'm so excited that we have these pieces in stock now so I can make something similar! I LOVE bright colors!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Heidi said...

This is a wonderful, vibrant, colourful frame! I love it!

Ellie said...

This is gorgeous!
You might want to have a look at the last post on my blog, I have a surprise for you!

Ellie said...

The address is:
http://elliecreahoekje.blogspot.com/
first post.

Anita Houston said...

Love this project! The way you used canvas on the wooden frame is wonderful...it really looks like a much bigger canvas...and the colors are fun!!!

Missusg said...

what a beautiful piece of art!!! i love it!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

This is fabulous. I need to get brave and try something bigger.

Nancy said...

VERY cool, Ellen!! Love all the Dyan-ness!

whyducks said...

So lovely!

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

Love the colours, texture and composition. A beauty!