Monday, March 19, 2012

Simon Says Stamp and Show... A Handmade Background

Hi everyone,

This week's theme on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is to do a project with a handmade background, which is awesome since I *love* making backgrounds! 

I made a trio of tags, and used three of the tags from THIS blog post I did a few weeks ago, which will show you all the details of how to make a background master board using Dylusions sprays and stencils and then cut it down to lots of tags.


Then I started layering stamps over the background.  I used the leafy vine stamp from THIS
Dylusions set and painted in the leaves with perfect pearls and highlighted them with a white pen.


Next I stamped the bunting stamp (pennants / banners for US folks) several times onto Ranger's new specialty stamping paper, and colored them in with several colors of the new distress markers, which are awesome!  I cut out each pennant and adhered them across all three tags and added the string in with a black pitt pen.


Then I stamped the mini tags onto specialty paper and colored around the borders with distress markers, and added several sentiments, also colored with distress markers.  I accented each tag with some colored hemp twine. 


Creating a handmade background is a lot of fun, and can be a project all to itself.  Sometimes I just sit and make backgrounds!  Then when I'm ready to make a tag, I'm already started!  Join in with this week's challenge and have fun playing with backgrounds. As always you'll have a chance at winning a $50 shopping spree with Simon Says Stamp


Have a great week!

~ ellen.

13 comments:

Heidi said...

Gorgeous! I loved the post you wrote on how to creative a big board background. It was was a helpful what-supplies-do-I-need to start making art journal pages! I love how you dressed up your tags!

Helen said...

Love this weeks theme and your tags look great!

Candy C said...

Ellen, I saw your tutorial on creating backgrounds. It was wonderful and very inspiring! Love these tags you have created from the backgrounds you created! Your banners and tags look fantastic on your tags!!! Love them all! <3 Candy

Kirsten Alicia said...

Ellen, these are GORGEOUS!!!!

Donna Bowman said...

LOVE these tags! I've got to get those tag stamps and I can't wait for my Distress Markers to get here!!!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely background on your tags Ellen, love the addition of the bunting and the text is fabulous. Wish my Distress Markers were here lol. Tracy x

Eloise said...

i love everything about your tags! The background, the stamps and the sayings. Just beautiful!

Kaz said...

Gorgeous as always Ellen!
so Wish you had been with us as the weekend .....Missed you!

Love your tags xx

Kaz x

Artyjen said...

Fabby tags! ;)
xoxo Sioux

Marjie Kemper said...

Where is that *love* button, Ellen????

Your colors and layers are FAB. Two more days till I'm in Dyan classes of my own!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Gorgeous and bright tags on tags, Ellen! :) I really love the pennants at the top and the sentiments are so sweet! :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Anita Houston said...

So awesomely cool!!! You've been a busy girl! These background are mixed media goodness...I love you sentiments and embellies as well.

Michelle Webb said...

Fabby set of tags Ellen, love the colours, and I totally love the dylusions inks. They give you the best vibrant colours. I'm addicted to them. Michelle x