abstract obsession

abstract obsession

Monday, March 26, 2012

Simon Says Stamp and Show... A Tag!

Hello!

Another week has flown by and it's time once again for another challenge with Simon Says Stamp and Show.  This week is all about tags.  I love making tags - they are small enough to finish quickly, yet big enough to do lots of layers and embellishing.  Here we go...


I started with a standard #8 manila tag and did a color wash background using lettuce, wild plum, butterscotch and sunset orange.  I love how the vibrant colors blend together so nicely.


Then I added some stamping using stamps from Tim Holtz' Mixed Media set.  I used the "bubble wrap" circles with snow cap paint dabber, and the chicken wire stamp with deep purple archival ink.  Next up was the numbers stamp from Tim's Little Labels set, stamped with jet black archival


I love Tim's new sentiment from the Words for Thought set, so stamped it on white card stock and cut out each word to adhere them down the right side of the tag.


The main feature of this tag is the grapevine hearts that I found at a local craft store - I love their natural look.  They are adhered to the tag with matte multi medium - have to be very patient waiting for it to dry as the hearts are very uneven - had to really glob it on. 


I added a resin flower by Prima to the bottom corner and finished everything off with some zigzag stitching on the sewing machine.  I felt like the tag needed something extra so I added a word key with the "love" accented with snow cap paint dabber.


Hope you have a chance to join in the fun this week - as usual the generous folks at Simon Says Stamp are offering up a $50 shopping spree for a randomly picked winner!  The new idea-ology has arrived so now is a great time for some extra shopping money!  Join in!


Are you playing along with Tim's online class - Creative Chemistry 101?  I've joined in and made a load of tags using the techniques Tim is sharing with us.  Even if you've been following along with Tim's techniques for a long time, you will not regret signing up for the class - I'm learning so many things - not just "what" to do... but more importantly... "WHY", which is so helpful!  And you'll have lifetime access to the tips and videos.  I'll be back soon to share some of the tags with you.


Have a great week - see you soon!

~ ellen.

11 comments:

Helen said...

And I thought you'd spent ages bending your own twigs for hearts... love them! Gorgeous tag, love the colours.

Heidi said...

I was so hoping to read all about how you made the hearts! Oh Well....maybe I'll go find some small twigs, soak them, shape and then wrap them in wire! Gorgeous tag! Thanks for the inspiration!

Sarah said...

Really fab colours Ellen - love the purple and pinks waving to me there...along with the rustic which look really great! And yummy stitching too... Can't live without my machine... Enjoy your new goodies - and wishing you lots of smiles this week! There in there somewhere... x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely tag Ellen, you are right the colours blend beautifully. Love the added stitching and the natural hearts. Enjoy your week. Tracy x

Candy C said...

Ellen your tag is fantastic! I love the beautiful color spray background you've done! Hmmm...learn that in Tim's Creative Chemistry 101? :) All of your stamping looks wonderful as does your machine stitching! Wow! Lots and lots of detail on such a small tag! You did a great job! <3 Candy

Kirsten Alicia said...

Great tag, I love the background.

Lori said...

Awesome tag Ellen, love the hearts! You always make the best backgrounds!

Gillian .... said...

Oooo this is gorgeous this is, love all the layering and vibrant colours, the ickle grapevine hearts are a neat touch. xx

Ellie said...

GORGEOUS!! Love those little hearts!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Wow, Ellen! Absolutely stunning tag! The grapevine hearts look so intricate and beautiful!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Linda said...

Amazing Tag! Super. I love the hearts too!