Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tim's 12 Tags 2012 - March

Hello!

Hope you're having a good week - we've almost made it to Friday - yippee!

Unless you live under a rock, you've probably heard the big news that Tim Holtz has officially retired his 12 Tags of Christmas tradition which we all loved... HOWEVER... the 12 Tags tradition is continuing, just in a different format which allows us to enjoy it all year long!  He'll post one tag per month instead of 12 tags in 12 days - makes such perfect sense!  Click HERE to see the tag for March.

I was completely *buried* in work during February, but the cloud is lifting (YAY!) and I wanted to jump right in and do the tag for March.  Here's my version, with some substitutions and additions as usual...


What an awesome idea to do paper mosaics? Love it! But I'm getting ahead of myself... first step was to use Tim's wood grain stamp (which I haven't gotten my hands on yet) so I used my Hero Arts wood grain background stamp.  It's not quite as bold a pattern as Tim's but still gives a wood grain result.   Since the pattern isn't as bold, I wanted to add a little more interest to the background so I used one of Tim's flourish stamps with coffee archival ink.

I wanted to try out some of Tim's new sentiments, so I used one of the new stamps from THIS set.


Now for the mosaic butterflies... love them... I didn't have the "cement" embossing powder - truth be told I didn't even know this existed! (add it to the wish list!) So I used silver embossing powder instead - it doesn't give quite as realistic a "grout" result, but I like it all the same...


Added the perfect pearl mist, and metal foliage/flowers, same as Tim, but added some metal corners by 7 gypsies, and a trinket pin and brass key (eBay find) to the top of the tag.

Love that we will get to enjoy Tim's tags all year long, now.  If I get some extra time I may go back and do the February tag, but if not.... I'll just be happy to keep up with the new ones as they arrive.  Hope you have a chance to join in the fun - there are prizes involved!  And prize packages from Tim, packed lovingly (and usually *very* quickly) by Mario - come on.... what could be better???

Have a great day! 

~ ellen.

14 comments:

Helen said...

Yes, I love these butterflies too and can't wait to get time to try March's tag - won't be for a few days though.

Lori said...

Fab tag, and fab substitutions Ellen! Love the butterflies!

Anita Houston said...

Holy cow...he just put that up today! You are fast on the take! This is wonderful! I love your butterflies...awesome take!!!

Minxy said...

Your quick off the mark, great job.. I had to decided wether to do the tag or my monthly journal page today.. the JP won, but only just!

Yogi said...

love your tag. Love the use of those clock pieces for the bodies - good idea.

Don't like the word verification though

ellen vargo said...

turned off word verification and turned on comment moderation... just testing it out...

Donna Bowman said...

Great tag Ellen!! It was a fun one wasn't it? Love your butterflies with the clock hand centers!! I was so happy to use my butterfly dies for the first time! And, I think he said last month he was going to January's tag this month so there may be another one coming soon.

Terry said...

Wowzerss Ellen, love your take on The Tim's 12 Tags..wowwzesrss mm the butterflies are totally ausume Hugs Terry xxxx

Cheryl said...

W-O-W Love your tag!! The spinners on the butterflies and all the extra embellies are awesome!

Candy C said...

Ellen, your tag is beautiful! Man, you mastered the mosaic technique! Love the extra embellishments you added to the butterflies and tag, too!!! It looks fantastic! <3 Candy

Marjie Kemper said...

Love your stamping and those awesome butterflies. Tim's mosaic idea is so cool

Nicole said...

Great tag, I dinished mine to yesterday! Great addition with the mtal corners.

Kirsten Alicia said...

Tim's tag is great & so is yours. Your butterflies are beautiful.

Purple Princess said...

Wow... Your tag is just Gorgeous! I love how you used the clock elements on the butterflies! Just Fabulous!