Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Journey Into Sketching

Hello!

I wanted to share some more pix from my efforts at sketching.   Earlier this week I shared a finished sketch, from later in my "development".  I wanted to share some of the earlier sketches as well.  I started by just sketching anything that caught my eye, using photos found on line as inspiration. 

Here's a sheet with several small sketches.  I used a pigma pen and watercolor crayons I've had for eons by Stampin' Up!


Here's a close up of the dragonfly.  I like the body and the lacy wings.


Here's another perspective on a dragonfly.  I like the x's as texture for the wings, and the scribbles used for the profile of the body.
 

Here's my first solo sketch.  A simple tulip - one of my favorite flowers, and one of the easier ones to draw.  I like the graduated color on the leaves.  I painted in one color of green of the left side of the leaf and then pulled it into the rest of the leaf, getting lighter tones of the same shade.


Here's the next one... I like the scribbly layers to these flowers.  This sketch made me really like using shaky lines intentionally, rather than trying to draw perfectly smooth lines.  Scribbly / Shaky is definitely a look I like.


And here's the next one... I don't like the way the flower centers turned out, but I like the graduated pink tones of the petals, and I like that I left some white on each of the petals, as well as some white in the stems - instant highlight.


You can see from the dates that these were all done on 4-12-12.  I've got lots more to share between then and now, but I didn't want to dump them all out at one time.  This is going to be a work in progress, so I'll continue to share my journey into sketching.  I hope you'll indulge me as I explore this new path in my artistic pursuits.

Thanks for stopping by!

~ ellen.

11 comments:

Helen said...

Ellen, you carry on indulging - they look great and way better than anything I could ever do. We are seeing a whole new side to your art now!

Nancy Wethington said...

Please keep sketching! These are wonderful.

Nancy said...

These are great, Ellen!! Can't wait to see more!

Gina Sismilich said...

Your sketches are lovely - I am very partial to dragonflies - and I really like your drawings!

Deborah said...

The insects would make fabulous stamps.

wendy vecchi said...

they look GREAT!!!!

cserum said...

You are doing quite well. Like you, I have always said I can't draw. I might take the same class since you are doing so well. You are an inspiration to me. thanks for sharing.

Hels Sheridan said...

Gorgeousness... love the Echinacea the best.. the centers look fab to me ;o)) xx

Candy C said...

Ellen...you are amazing, girlfriend!!! I am so impressed! :) You are doing a wonderful job of sketching and then colorizing your art. Beautiful! <3 Candy

Debby said...

These are lovely! What kind of paper are you using? Nice work.

ellen vargo said...

@Debby: I used Canson Mixed Media paper, but may switch over to watercolor paper (coldpress) for future sketching.