Thursday, April 26, 2012

More Sketching...

Hello again!

So have you seen the big news from Ranger? The new seasonal distress inks have been released and the colors look gorgeous!   I'm especially partial to the Squeezed Lemonade and the Perfect Peacock.


Exciting as that is... the even *bigger* news is that Ranger has produced and released re-inkers for ALL of the seasonal distress colors!  This was high on the wish-list for many a crafter, myself included, so I can't wait to get mine!  Click HERE and HERE to get yours!

So... back to sketching... I wanted to share a few more of my first sketches.  I'll take them one by one, in the order they were created, and share a few thoughts about what I learned, what like, don't like about each one. 

First up... hibiscus flowers... I like the way the depth of the flower came out, with the darkest shades at the bottom of the flower, and the stamen shows good dimension too.  I'm not crazy about how stripey the flowers look.  I did the coloring with a pink gelato and thought (hoped) it would blend more smoothly, but for some reason it didn't.  I'm still happy with the result, though.  I also still like the shaky lines for the flowers - not perfect or smooth = better (to me).


Next up... a yellow wildflower.  This was the first time I used the pen to create texture on the flower petals and the stem.  Darker sections create depth and shadow, and some curvy lines on one side of the stem helps give the illusion of a round stem.  I like the way the shadows turned out underneath the flower, too.


 And now... one of my favorites so far... California poppies... beautiful flowers all on their own, and I'm really happy with how the sketch turned out.  I didn't do a lot of pen work on these, because they are so silky smooth in real life - just let the flowers speak for themselves.  I like the shading, and the different tones of orange/yellow to create perspective. (as Donna Downey would say... *happy place*!!)


And last up for today... purple daisies.   I did a little more pen work on these - using some sketchy lines on the petals and stems.  The picture I used for a reference was stunning, but I was worried because I don't remember seeing a purple daisy with such a bold purple AND pure white, but that's what the inspiration was, so I went for it. 


Hope you've enjoyed the latest round of sketches.  I've got one more round to share, and then I'll go back and show you how I've further embellished the sketches to turn them into finished art.  Hope you stay tuned for my journey in sketching.  I'm having a lot of fun learning and trying new things.

Have a great day - be back in a couple days with more.

~ ellen.


5 comments:

Helen said...

These are great - love the yellow daisy and the california poppies (one of my favourite flowers!) Can't wait to see how you finish these off...

Sarah said...

really wonderful Ellen, loving that wild yellow one and the shadowing! You'll have to spend a week in Tracy's garden...

Nancy Wethington said...

So enjoying your sketches and color work. What kind of paper are you using? Please keep sharing. These are beautiful!

Lori said...

Really wonderful to see your venture into sketching...they're just lovely!

Marjie Kemper said...

Honestly, Ellen, these are gorgeous. You really have a knack for them. Love the imperfect slant, just like they are in real life, and the shading is fantastic. Have a great weekend!