Thursday, April 5, 2012

Paper Towel Mop Up Tag

Hello again!

I know... shocking... it's me... back again so soon!  It's amazing how productive you can be when you have *nothing* to do but make art... I should go away every weekend!

Today I wanted to share with you a jumbo tag I made last weekend at stamp camp.  I had been making a lot of backgrounds with ink sprays so I was using my roll of paper towels to mop up and blot the extra ink.  Hence... a "paper towel mop up tag"...

One of the ladies sitting across from me had commented that the roll of paper towels with all the ink on it looked so cool, and it made me remember a tip I got from H.R.G. (Her Royal Gorgeousness) Dyan Reaveley --- use the "mop ups" as cool backgrounds!  So I did!  All the stamps, stencils and ink sprays used on this tag are Dylusions, and all are available from Simon Says Stamp in the U.S. and of course at Art From the Heart in the U.K.

Now... some of you may find offense in the sentiment but I think it's awesome.  There are just some times in life that this sentiment would be exactly appropriate.  I could probably never bring myself to say it out loud, but that's what art is about right?  Expressing! 


I used a glue stick to cover a jumbo tag with a generous amount of glue, and then pressed the paper towel (kitchen roll for all my UK friends) over the glue, adhering it to the tag.  But then there was a bonus!  I forgot that the paper towels I was using were 2-ply.... so the top layer came right off and I glued it to another tag!  So... twin tags were born.  Sadly I didn't get a pic of the 2nd tag --- I gave it to the lady who reminded me of this awesome idea. 


I added some gesso scraped through the harlequin stencil, and attempted to add some red ink through the number jumble stencil, but quickly discovered that wasn't a good idea... the paper towels are so absorbent that the ink just bled into blobs immediately - no worries - I still love the *pop* of red.

I stamped the solid leaf stamp several times up the right side of the tag with jet black archival ink - I love how the texture of the stencil shows through the leaves.  I highlighted the leaves with a white gelly roll pen, as usual.


Then I stamped out the various parts of my skele-dude and adhered to the tag. I like using stamps that you wouldn't immediately recognize as bodies.... as bodies!  I water-colored with distress stains and a water brush.


I framed in the tag with one of the new border stamps, which I think will become a fast favorite - the twisted ribbon.  I've been dying to use this new big spider - love him dangling from the cowboy hat. 


Hope you've enjoyed my "mop up" tag - give it a try!  It's such a great jump start to a project when you have an instant background.

Still got more tags to share so I'll be back again soon! 

~ ellen.


17 comments:

Patricia said...

WOW what BEAUTIFULL is this!!!!!
Love all the details.
I am just starded with Dylusions and it makes me so happy!!!!
Greetz Patricia

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow, this is awesome! I love it! Great idea to use the border for a body - may have to pinch that idea ;-)

Jan said...

LOVE IT! Love the colours, the cool skele-dude and the sentiment is so appropriate and made me laugh! This is a great idea.

Diana said...

i totally love using my papertowel bits too!!! beautiful tag! creepy dude head is one of my fav!!

Red Kitty said...

Wow what an awesome idea, thats me sorted for the weekend as I have loads of kitchen roll in my recycle bin covered in ink.
Thanks for sharing, am new to inky craft about 4 weeks and am having a ball.

Sandra. Xxx

Sue said...

Here from Dyan's FB link.

Totally amazing! I love the sentiment.

Candy C said...

Ellen, your tag is awesome. Love how you constructed the skeleton man. Love your background...very cool! <3 Candy

Kirsten Alicia said...

Fantastic, I love it.

Kaz said...

Totally love your mop up tag Ellen, love the body too, so clever! Looking forward to seeing more gorgeous tags xx

Kaz x

Hels Sheridan said...

totes-amazeballs hunny... love the pops of red and your skeledude is so coooool!! Makes me wanna go and get messy... which I might just do! Ta for the inspirations xx

Michelle Webb said...

Love your mop up tag, great tip. I love these stamps. Michelle x

Jacquie Parry said...

I love this the quote is one of my favourites and I love the mop up idea. The hat of the "skelly" is fantastic
Jacquie x

Bast said...

Awesome funky tag. Love it. Love the 'mop up' method. Thanx for sharing and for all of the inspiration.

I recently got a few dylusions sets and cannot want to start stamping! :)

KimMJ
bast830@comcast.net

Marjie Kemper said...

Love your border as body and now I too remember the tip to save/use the paper towels.... your tag is fab!!! How very cool to get two versions from the single towel.

Sara Jansen said...

The saying is a hoot! Goodness knows I have thought it more than once....
Love the tag, and shall be ever indebted to you as I first saw those amazing leaves on your blog. Now I have a SERIOUS crush on Dyan and want/must have all of her goodies. I am working my way there...
Hadn't see noticed the twisted ribbon tho...very coo.

Linda said...

LOVE IT! Cool color combination , fantastic saying... Great!

MaRyKaY said...

that is really cool. You have given me some body shot idea's using these stamps. Not that there isnt alot with the stamps as is but always looking for new uses as well. I wish there were more dylusion projects out there in blog world. I love coming to this blog cause I always know there will be some dylusion's somewhere. thanks for sharing