I know... shocking... it's me... back again so soon! It's amazing how productive you can be when you have *nothing* to do but make art... I should go away every weekend!
Today I wanted to share with you a jumbo tag I made last weekend at stamp camp. I had been making a lot of backgrounds with ink sprays so I was using my roll of paper towels to mop up and blot the extra ink. Hence... a "paper towel mop up tag"...
One of the ladies sitting across from me had commented that the roll of
paper towels with all the ink on it looked so cool, and it made me remember a tip I got from H.R.G. (Her Royal Gorgeousness)
Dyan Reaveley --- use the "mop ups" as cool backgrounds! So I did! All the stamps, stencils and ink sprays used on this tag are Dylusions, and all are available from Simon Says Stamp in the U.S. and of course at Art From the Heart in the U.K.
Now... some of you may find offense in the sentiment but I think it's awesome. There are just some times in life that this sentiment would be exactly appropriate. I could probably never bring myself to say it out loud, but that's what art is about right? Expressing!
I used a glue stick to cover a jumbo tag with a generous amount of glue, and then pressed the paper towel (kitchen roll for all my UK friends) over the glue, adhering it to the tag. But then there was a bonus! I forgot that the paper towels I was using were 2-ply.... so the top layer came right off and I glued it to another tag! So... twin tags were born. Sadly I didn't get a pic of the 2nd tag --- I gave it to the lady who reminded me of this awesome idea.
I added some gesso scraped through the harlequin stencil, and attempted to add some red ink through the number jumble stencil, but quickly discovered that wasn't a good idea... the paper towels are so absorbent that the ink just bled into blobs immediately - no worries - I still love the *pop* of red.
I stamped the solid leaf stamp several times up the right side of the tag with jet black archival ink - I love how the texture of the stencil shows through the leaves. I highlighted the leaves with a white gelly roll pen, as usual.
Then I stamped out the various parts of my skele-dude and adhered to the tag. I like using stamps that you wouldn't immediately recognize as bodies.... as bodies! I water-colored with distress stains and a water brush.
I framed in the tag with one of the new border stamps, which I think will become a fast favorite - the twisted ribbon. I've been dying to use this new big spider - love him dangling from the cowboy hat.
Hope you've enjoyed my "mop up" tag - give it a try! It's such a great jump start to a project when you have an instant background.
Still got more tags to share so I'll be back again soon!