Monday, April 23, 2012

Simon Says Stamp and Show... Your Favorite Word


Hello!

I'm excited about this week's theme on Simon Says Stamp and Show, not so much because of the theme, which is to use your favorite word, but because it gives me a chance to share a project I've been working on.  

For years and years, I've been a firm believer and would tell anyone that I *cannot* draw.  Creative? Yes.  But drawing... definitely not...  But here's the thing... I've believed this for so long that I began to wonder if it was really true.  So I set out on a mission to find out for myself.

Alisa Burke has an online course called "Sketchbook Delight".  Alisa is an amazing artist, and I have been admiring her work for about a year now.  What better way to test my ability to draw than to take a class on sketching!  So I did it!  It's a really good class with tons of tips and lots of encouragement to try lots of different products and find your own style.  Here's a link to the class if you're interested.


After lots of experimenting and playing, I'd like to share one of my finished sketches!  

 

It was evident from the start that flowers would be a major source of inspiration, so my favorite word is "bloom". I used a PITT pen for the sketching, and Faber-Castell gelatos with a water brush for the coloring and shading.  You can either use the water brush to pick up color directly from the gelato, or you can scribble some pigment from the gelato onto a scrap piece of paper and use the water brush to add water and turn the pigment into a beautiful watercolor paint.  

The gelatos blend beautifully together and I am becoming *addicted* to them!  I stamped the word "bloom" with Hero Arts' lower case alphabet set.

I hope you enjoyed my first public sketch.  I have quite a collection going so I'll be sharing them from time to time.  And if you're one of those creative people who doesn't think you can draw.... TRY!  Your first efforts may not be the best, but like anything, you have to practice in order to develop your skills - I think you'll be surprised!

As always, if you take the time and join in this week's challenge, you'll have a chance to win a $50 shopping spree with Simon Says Stamp!


Happy sketching!

~ ellen



11 comments:

Lynne Forsythe said...

GET OUT Ellen!! I thought your image was a STAMP......stop it! I think you do a might fine job at sketching!!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous sketching Ellen, I love your tulips and your blending of colour. I may try some sketching one day, still at the I cannot draw stage at the min. Take care. Tracy x

Marjie Kemper said...

This is beautiful, Ellen! All that shading adds so much depth. Love it!

Nancy Wethington said...

Ellen, this is really beautiful!

Candy C said...

Ellen, your piece for this week is absolutely beautiful. I envy your sketching ability. It's truly lovely and the way you colored the leaves and the petals is really perfection. The shading around the flowers looks fantastic, too. <3 Candy

Lori said...

Really gorgeous, Ellen, can't tell it's your first! Bravo on stepping out of your comfort zone, you go girl!

isisimaginings said...

It is beautiful & I'm very impressed, I also thought it was a stamp. I look forward to seeing more of your sketches.

flutterbycrafter said...

This is lovely, which proves you can draw and paint, the shading is wonderful, congratulations

Nancy said...

I have soooo resisted the gelatos ... I'm not listening!! lol
Your sketch is absolutely wonderful!

Heidi said...

Your sketching is amazing! I must practise!!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

What a beautiful, sketch! You should be proud Ellen :) Thank you for sharing, I love it!!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!