Monday, May 14, 2012

Mini Sketchbook - Ranger/Vintaj Patinas Tutorial

Hi Everyone,

This week we have another "Anything Goes" theme on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge, so I wanted to take the opportunity to play with the new Patinas from Ranger/Vintaj.   I had several colors to play with, and used this video by Jess at Vintaj to give myself a foundation of knowledge before getting started. 


Thought I would document the step-by-steps for those of you who, like me, need some visual how-to's when playing with a new product.

Here's the finished project, so you know where we're headed...


As you know, I've been doing a lot of sketching, and wanted to have a small, pocket-sized book that would fit in my handbag. The point of all my sketching is to figure out what "my style" is... I'm very good at doing projects using others' products and techniques, but I want to bring more authenticity to "my" art, so... I'm working on it...

I started with Wendy Vecchi's small pages art parts - they are perfect for mini books - they are 3" x 5" and adorable.  I painted around the edges, front and back, with a black paint dabber.


Since I wanted to work with Patinas, it was natural to break out the TenSeconds Studio metal.  I embossed 4 sheets with a Sizzix embossing folder.  It doesn't matter what color metal you use, because when you sand off the raised areas (at the end) the only color that shows through is the base silver.

Then it was time to break out the patinas.  I chose these four colors (verdigris, jade, clay and moss):


The video suggests using the flat area of the brush to "pat" the colors on, but after some experimenting, I found that pouncing worked better for me.  I dripped all the different colors onto the metal sheets first... (I had adhered the metal sheets to some double-sided adhesive sheets.  Ranger's wonder tape would be perfect for this, but sadly I didn't have any, so used what I had).


And then I started pouncing... here's the progress...




Now it's time to get the sanding block out and sand the raised areas, revealing the metal below...



Transforms the whole thing, right? I love this look!  But I also like the metal when it is "aged" so I used a black paint dabber to spread a thin layer of black paint over the whole sheet (half first, then the other half)...



Now use a paper towel (kitchen roll for you UK peeps) to wipe off the excess paint, leaving an aged look behind...


Then I decided to use the Ranger/Vintaj glaze to coat the aged piece.  This is really intended for pure metal (like real brass) pieces, to keep the sanded areas from aging, but I just liked the sealed / glazed look, so I went for it, brushing on a thin coat with a paint brush...


Here's the finished pages... 4 sheets - 2 for the front cover and 2 for the back cover


I punched holes in the metal sheets to match up with the covers.  Then it was time to adhere the metal to the small covers.  I peeled the backing off the adhesive sheet and lined it up with the scalloped edge of the page.  I didn't want to get into trimming around the curvy edges, so left them exposed.


To embellish the front cover, I used Tim Holtz' alpha parts, and gave them a metallic look by using Viva's Inka Gold (old silver, copper, and lava green).  I also added one of Tim's new word bands.  I got the lettering blue by using a Pool paint dabber over the whole piece, and then wiped off the excess with my thumb.  Paper towels don't work well for me - they tend to remove the paint from the recessed areas as well, which sort of defeats the purpose...


For my pages, I cut down watercolor paper to the correct size and used my Cinch to punch holes in all the pages.  I bound it together using D-rings so the journal would lay flat when opened.



Hope you enjoyed the tutorial and find some time to play with the new patinas.  They are so gorgeous, and so easy to use! 

No excuse not to join in this week's challenge - just make something... anything! You'll have a chance at winning a $50 shopping spree to Simon Says Stamp.


Have a great week!

~ ellen.

22 comments:

Shirley said...

That is absolutely stunning!

Helen said...

What a great book you made, I love that embossed metal - those patinas look gorgeous so I may have to invest in some, ha ha!!

Sue said...

Ellen first of all stunning.com sort of springs to mind. Secondly thank you for sharing the how you made the covers with photos, I am so a visual person. Thank you, thank you and thank you

isisimaginings said...

Wow, that's fantastic, I LOVE the covers & thanks for the great photos - very helpful.

Gabrielle said...

Oh! I am going to have to make me one of these! I now need those paints in a big way! Utterly brilliant x

Hels Sheridan said...

ooooh ,this is LUSH... you know how much I lurve metal and yep, now I need those Patina's... .can't wait to see what you fill it up with xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

What fabulous texture and colours. Loved the step by steps. Thanks Ellen. I have recently purchased some of these and now I know they are gorgeous looking at your wonderful piece. Tracy x

Candy C said...

Ellen, your little journal is amazing! I love the tutorial! Great job! The Vintaj Patinas really look amazing on your metal cover. You did a fab job of using them and then showing how you did that magnificent cover! <3 Candy

mrich2500 said...

Thanks for the tutorial...really should read ENABLER ALERT...I now know I NEED these paints ;)

snazzyoriginal said...

Great project, beautifully explained. A wonderful introduction to yet another Ranger product I didn't know I needed lol!

Kate said...

Ohhh, this is scrumpcious! I love it! Thanks for the tutorial. Now I really want these awesome paints!

catherine said...

Just a stunning project and love the colours you have used
x catherine

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow, this looks stunning. Love the addition of the black to age it a little. Brill!

Carol Q said...

love it to bits! I neeeeeed one.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Beautiful book, Ellen! I love the rich colors and texture on the cover!! Wow, super pretty!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Patricia said...

Hello Ellen,
Thanks for your loveley comment on my blog, i am so inspïerd by your metalart, so i thougt i want that also. (lol)
i am your follower for a couple of months and i love your work, so that must be saying.
Greetz Patricia

Artyjen said...

Fabulous effect....a book that is dying to be used ;)
xoxo Sioux

Marjie Kemper said...

Fab tute, Ellen! Love your book covers. Happy Sketching!

Anna-Karin said...

Wow, this is so cool! Love the embossed metal and I think I need those patinas. TFS!

Terry said...

Ahhh Princess B you really are a Ranger Chick like me! Love it! BTW...Shared it with the crew!!! :)

Linda said...

Oh wow, this is so cool!!! Thanks for showing!

Ana K. said...

Stunning creation and tutorial is just perfect. I must try this technique.
Hugs feom Slovenia!