Monday, May 21, 2012

Simon Says Stamp and Show.... Summer!

Hi everyone,

I suppose I should start off by saying that, sadly, this will be my last post for Simon Says Stamp and Show.  I have some personal issues may impact my time in a potentially significant way, and I made the tough decision to step down.  I'll still be finding time to be creative, but it may not be possible to do that according to a deadline... 

I'm very sad to be saying farewell to my amazing teammates.  They truly are a wonderful group of talented designers, and more importantly, they are all so genuinely kind and generous.  Couldn't ask for a nicer group to work with.  Thanks to all of them, and especially to Heidi at Simon Says Stamp for giving me a chance!  I'll never forget it.

That said.... this week's theme is "Summer Holiday".  When I think of summer, I think of swimming, so decided to use one of the backgrounds from my Ranger Mixed Media Background post - click HERE for details - because it reminds me of a swimming pool.


With the background already completed, I added the dressform / spool and butterfly stamps with black archival ink.  Then I stamped the Papillon background in magenta hue archival ink over the entire background - it's subtle, but adds a bit of interest.


Then, I had some leftover paper I used for wiping my brush when watercolor painting, and decided to die cut it with Tim's butterfly movers and shapers.  I over-stamped them with the papillon background and vermillion archival ink.  LOVE this look - will definitely be saving my watercolor scratch paper! It looks like splattered paint in all kinds of colors - and you never know exactly what you'll get when you die cut - FUN!


I added a philosophy tag altered with watermelon paint dabber, and finished it off with a hand-stamped sentiment using a mini alphabet stamp set, and a dotted border with a white paint pen.


The ribbon I used on the tag top isn't really ribbon at all, but scraps from sari's - I got a whole skein of it in a neutral color - it dyes beautifully - these scraps were dyed with Dylusions ink sprays - bubblegum pink and postbox red.

Hope you all have a chance to join in this week's challenge - summer is almost here!  Time to start daydreaming!  As always, you'll have a chance at winning a $50 shopping spree to Simon Says Stamp.


Thanks for stopping by! 

~ ellen.


14 comments:

Helen said...

What a way to go!! Love your tag, it is stunning. Hope you are ok and work through your issues. Keep crafting when you can, we would hate you to give up all together, but I know what you mean about deadlines!! Hugs, Helen

Sarah said...

Loving the watery blue on it's own, especially as I swim everyday - the overstamping is fab and I find my scraps more interesting than bought stuff too! Sigh - we is so going to miss you gal - take lots of care - thinking of you. Sarah.

Gabrielle said...

Gosh! I can't believe you have hung up your SSS hat! I know all about those outside pressures on our precious crafting time and so can really empathise with what must have been a really tough decision. I adore your work and am looking forward to seeing what 'Ellen does next'!

Candy C said...

Ellen...we will miss you so so much on the DT! Your work is always inspiring and beautifully done. This tag is fantastic! Lots of detail, color and dimension. Love the pops of red against the blue. Love you my sweet friend...praying for you. <3 Candy

betjunroe said...

So sorry to hear you won't be on the SSS team. I hope you will be able to continue your creative journey. Love the tag--the background colors are so cool. Great idea to use your scraps! Bette

thekathrynwheel said...

Oh dear :-( That must have been a tough decision. Hope you will still find time to get crafty. This is a wonderful tag - The team will miss you for sure.

Yours Artfully said...

Hey Ellen,

What a gorgeous tag....I'm with you on the water/swimming pool thing and the colour you used is just perfect and a agreat contrasting colour for your gorgeous embellishments.

Am sending a big hug your way from across the pond. Life changing things that are thrown at us out of the blue are always difficult to deal with but to have to sacrifice something you love too is a real double whammy.

With much love, Lin x

pooky said...

So sorry to hear this is your last post for SSS:( Hope everything is well. Love, love your tag!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

So sorry to see you go Ellen, going but not forgotten and I will visit you in blogland. Love your tag, your watery background is perfect against your die cuts. Love it. Take care Ellen and speak soon. Tracy x x

Marjie Kemper said...

Beautiful tag, Ellen... so much depth in that gorgeous background. I feel for you on what must've been a very difficult decision. Sending good thoughts your way and hoping things smooth out for you very soon.

Hels Sheridan said...

Stunning tag hun, tis totesamazeballs gorge... sending a big old special hug for ya xxx

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Gorgeous tag, Ellen! I love the bright pops of colors in the butterflies against the blue :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

isisimaginings said...

Stunning tag, the blue is gorgeous. I hope everything works out for you, will miss you on SSS, but will keep visiting your blog.

Sue said...

Stunning.com as always Ellen. Going to miss your take on the SSSS each week. But guess that means I need to just drop by your blog more often then I normally do.Take care