Thursday, June 28, 2012

I Challenge Thee - Altered Frame

Hi everyone,

*WARNING: THIS IS A LONG POST! Grab a cuppa coffee or tea....

It's been quite a long time since Hels and I did an "I Challenge Thee" session, and last weekend was just perfect for it!  We finally had a shared Sunday afternoon available for a Skype session, and my mojo was definitely lacking and needed a *boost* !! When we looked back, we discovered we haven't done this since February!  Sometimes all it takes to boost your creativity is having a friend share in your creative time, even if it is only over a computer, from thousands of miles away - it really helps! What would we do without Skype... Love it!

So... here's the concoction of requirements we came up with:

- 8 x 8 wooden shadow frame (available from Paper Artsy)
- Paper-piecing / collage technique on frame
- 2  3/4 " square mini canvas
- Idea-ology: screw eyes, corked vials
- Stencils with modeling/molding paste
- Random stamping
- Additional embellishments of choice

Hels was SO kind to send me some of the luscious 7 Dots Studio "Dreamer" collection of papers designed by Anna Dabrowska (aka Finnabair).  They are available HERE in the US and at The Stamp Attic in the UK and trust me, they are *gorgeous* !  So I knew I had to use them.  Here's the project all finished, then I'll get in to the details:


I started with the plain, unfinished wood shadow frame and gave it a quick coat with the Sand paint dabber from Ranger.  Then I got out my 7 Dots papers and started cutting lots of various square and rectangle shapes and layering them all over the frame, inside and out, including the outside edges.  I sanded the edges of paper on the frame and distressed the raw edges with gathered twigs distress ink (my new favorite brown in the distress palette).  I also outlined around the top layers of paper pieces with a Stabilo All black pencil and went over it with a water brush to blend.  Instant shadows!


Then I used THIS stencil from Dylusions and spread some Golden molding paste mixed with mushroom paint (Ranger) through the stencil with a palette knife.  I didn't like the stark brown color, so I added a small amount of green patina perfect pearls over the diamonds, and then added some additional highlights with black archival ink and copper Inka Gold. 


The plaster-ish "stuff" you see on the edges is Sand colored Terra, spread with a palette knife and then inked with gathered twigs distress ink, and black soot on the edges.  Love the look of old plaster.


The 2  3/4" canvas in the center was also paper-pieced with 7 Dots papers, with added stenciling and Terra like the rest of the frame.  I also added an idea-ology mini gears, game spinner and an antique brass rivet.  The canvas was hung from the inside edge of the frame with screw eyes, jump rings and wire pins - all from idea-ology.  The words are from Tim's chit-chat stickers, inked with antique linen and outlined with the Stabilo All black pencil.


The corked vials were painted with a light coat of Juniper and Cloud paint (Ranger), distressed with (wait for it...) gathered twigs distress ink, and then I used my hand carved stamps with coffee / olive archival ink, rolling the bottles over the stamps.  I outlined some of the stamping with a black pitt pen to help the patterns stand out.

I kept adding embellishments until I was happy with the balance and the look of the piece... Here's some shots of the details....






This challenge definitely boosted my mojo and got me going again.  Thank God for good friends and Skype!  I had a ball making it... I confess... the idea to use Terra came to me in a dream!  Yes, I actually had a very long, repeating dream about this piece!  Love it when that happens!  And the best part is that I actually remembered the idea and used it!

Don't forget to go to Hels' blog and check out her STUNNING piece!  You'll love it!

Thanks for hanging in there through this LONG post - hope you enjoyed our project!

~ ellen.

11 comments:

Helen said...

Simply stunning, Ellen. Such beauty.... I have some of those papers too but haven't been brave enough to use them yet (still at the stroking stage!!)

Gabrielle said...

This is just gorgeous! I love it when you two Skype each other - the results are always stunning!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous Ellen, love love all the texture and layers of interest. The little canvas looks so striking and your little bottle is fabulous using your own cut stamp. Inspiring. Tracy x x

mrich2500 said...

Love this frame & i love the concept of you & Hels challenging each other! My mind is spinning with inspiration ;)

Hels Sheridan said...

TOTES-CHUFFING-AMAZEBALLS hun... seriously... this is GORGEOUS!!!! Thanks for the Skypey challenge thee... I needed it big-stylee... oh and His Grimness LOVES his pressie ;o)) See ya soon xx

Andrea said...

a beautiful piece of art Ellen and who would be without skype, techo is amazing xx

Aquarius said...

So glad I followed the link from Hels' blog - this is amazing with so many fab details. Great stuff

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous piece!!! Love it!

Found you via Hells who is my new teamy at Snazzys and am now your latest follower.... Where have I been lol....

Caz said...

Another gorgeous piece!! You two certainly do some brilliant creating when you get Skyping!!! I love those 7 Dots papers - the Wonderland collection is equally as yummy!!!
I need to go back and study you piece again - it needs two or three 'looks' to 'see' everything.
Hugs
xxxx

snazzyoriginal said...

This project is amazing, so many clever little details. Love it (and the Dreamer papers of course!) xx

isisimaginings.com said...

Wow, that is completely gorgeous!!!!