Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Art Journal Page

Hello!

I've been playing in my art journal again.  I think I've discovered something that makes me enjoy the journaling process...  I'm working in a journal that I assembled from pre-painted pages, which takes away that feeling you get when you're staring at a totally blank page and can't figure out where to start.  If the backgrounds are already done, it gives you a jump start on the journaling and collage to follow.  So... here's my latest page...


I see a theme emerging in my journaling... the contrast between my "art" life and my "work" life.  It's a constant source of frustration for me, and I'm always struggling to find that balance between what I "have" to do and what I "love" to do.  So...  that's the background story on this page.  Of course we all need money in order to live our lives, but what is that money "worth" if you have to give up time spent on your passion?  I long for a Star Trek society where there is no money, just the sharing of resources and the pursuit of passion and development of talents.  How awesome would that be?


All the journaling was done with Sharpie paint pens, and a white gelly roll pen.  Background is scraped paint (Golden fluid acrylics) and the harlequin stencil sprayed with Studio Calico Mister Huey's white spray.  It's the only white inky spray I've found.  It takes a LONG time to dry, but it's gorgeous!


Hope you're having a good week so far... I'll be back tomorrow with another "Hels and Els" recipe project!

~ ellen.

8 comments:

anna christensen crafts said...

Loving this! and how very true your words are. Can't wait for your next 'you and Hels project - they are truly inspirational xx

Helen said...

You are so right. sitting here at the "pay the bills job" .... just waiting to go home! I love your journal page. Looking forward to your next joint project also.

Ali H said...

Oh yes - can I join your " how do i make time for Art" club ?
Why does my job take 10 or 11 hours of my life everyday - and my arty-crafty stuff gets squeezed into the margins ! Oh yes that will be paying the bills !!
Love your page - great colours !
I do the background colours in my journal in advance too - whenever I work on something else I deliberately squidge out too much paint or put too much distress ink on the foam - and then this gets swiped onto a page - as you say then you are ready to just crack on when the inspiration bites !! Take care

Sue said...

Think you have cracked the AJ code, LOL. Brilliant as ever Ellen.

suzieq23 said...

funny you should mention working to pay the bills and not working to play. I just got laid-off so I will let you know.....cant be good, how am I supposed to support my art habit?

Bast said...

Love your page! I agree completely. LOL! Thanx for sharing. :)

KimMJ
bast830@comcast.net

kyla said...

So true, my day job takes over my craft time, but without it I wouldn't have my home etc....I keep trying to convince myself, I make art, therefore I am an artist! When I meet someone new and they ask me what I do, I still label myself as my day job profession...one day I will be brave enough just to say 'i make art'.

Kyla

Grim said...

Words on the left are so true.

Nice colours Ellen ;-)