Monday, July 2, 2012

Enjoy the little things... Dylusions Tag

Hello and Happy Monday!

I don't know about the weather in your neck of the world, but here in Baltimore it has been HOT, HOT, HOT!  Temperatures nearing 100 F (38 C) for the last 5 days.  All I can say is thank God for air-conditioning!  The up side is that, if you have to be stuck inside, there's lots of time for getting inky/painty, so I created this Dylusions tag...


I started by painting the background of this jumbo tag with Dylusions paint (from the former Dylusions line in the UK).  I used pink, orange and some streaks of white gesso.


Then I used a black Sharpie paint pen to draw the scalloped border on each side.  I like the hand-drawn look, with different heights and widths to each "scallop".


I added some background stamping using the Basic Backgrounds stamps.  I chose "tone on tone" colors so the stamping would stay in the background.  Magenta hue archival ink for the circles, Monarch orange archival for the diamonds, and Vermillion archival for the alphas.


The star of the show is Curious Corrin (from stamp set of same name).  I stamped her on white cardstock with black archival ink and colored her in by spraying Dylusions ink sprays on my craft sheet and painting in with a water brush.


I added the birds flying across the top and the spider hanging from Corrin's dress (both from the Bits and Bats set).


Then I got out my Sharpie paint pens, along with my white gelly roll pen and went to town!  I outlined the birds with the white gelly roll pen, as well as the leaves at the bottom, the accents on Corrin's tights, dress and hair, and a few elements of the background.  The dots in the scalloped border were done with the white and black  sharpie paint pens.  I also added some random black dots with the paint pen.


Hope you enjoyed this tag - I had a blast making it and like the hand-drawn borders.  Will be doing more of that.  It lends a little bit of "me" to Dyan's awesome, distinctive style.

Have a great week!  Hope you manage to stay cool!

~ ellen.

14 comments:

Helen said...

Corrin is just fab!!! I need to get a new white jelly roll pen as mine is running out!!

isisimaginings.com said...

Wonderful tag!! Corrin looks terrific & the borders are great.

Sue said...

Here from Dyan's link on FB.

Fabulous tag! Corrin is next on my list to purchase. Love all of your hand doodling.

Patricia said...

This is REALY GEORGEOUS!!!!!!
Love all the details!
Greetz Patricia

snazzyoriginal said...

Love this, using the sprays to paint with really adds to the vibrancy of the whole piece, must try that xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Ellen, wish we had some heat, not 100 but 70 would be nice instead of all this rain we are having. Never mind your tag is a feast for the eyes and I am loving those hot colours. Fabulous design and inky background and stamping. Love the white highlights. Tracy x

Gina Sismilich said...

Hot here too - but that's seasonal for Beaufort SC. Actually you are hotter than us right now. Love your artwork!

Bast said...

Love the tag! The scalloped border is great and love her hair color!

Hot here too in NJ ...upper 90's as of late. Thank goodness for a/c and art supplies :)

KimMJ
bast830@comcast.net

John Terry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John Terry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Terry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Terry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Terry said...



Found your blog. It is full of really good information. Thank you for sharing. If you ever need service on air conditioning repair please visit us at rheemteamcomfort.com. We would love it if you would have a look at some of our blogs and let us know your thoughts.

John Terry said...




Found your blog. It is full of really good information. Thank you for sharing. If you ever need service on air conditioning repair please visit us at rheemteamcomfort.com. We would love it if you would have a look at some of our blogs and let us know your thoughts.