Hels and I have been on a Skype-ing streak and I'm happy to report we've come up with another "I Challenge Thee" project... This time we wanted to go outside our "comfort zones" so decided to do a canvas board... here's our recipe (the challenge is to get all this stuff into one project!):
- 8 x 10 canvas board
- washer or diamond border strip dies (Tim Holtz Sizzix)
- texture / molding paste
- scraped paint technique
- masking tape
- paper flowers (Prima, etc.)
- ink sprays / splatters optional
- embossing powder
- stamps of choice
- embellishments of choice
- the word "Imagine" or "Imagination"
I started by die cutting 4 strips of the washer border die with white card stock and glued them to the canvas board with gel medium. I then added Terra texture paste with a palette knife to the corners, torn strips of book text with gel medium, scraped gesso through the Dylusions diamond stencil, and then scraped sand and mushroom paint across the canvas randomly with a Ranger craft scraper. Then I white-washed the whole canvas with Golden's white airbrush paint (which is a very watery white paint - perfect for white-washing).
Then I added several paper flowers, some by American Craft and some by Prima, layering them on top of each other and nesting them together. I tucked an ideaology timepiece along with some mini gears and random beads into the flower groupings. The flowers were all either white or neutral beige to start.
The word "imagine" was laid out on the craft sheet with grungeboard letters and painted with black paint dabber and just a hint of bronze Inka Gold. Letters were adhered to canvas with white glue.
The top and bottom borders were done using masking tape! I tore a strip down the middle, white washed each strip, and stamped my hand-carved triangle stamp in alternating "up" and "down" fashion to create this interesting pattern. I held these aside and adhered them to the canvas last. (Didn't want to spray them with color, etc.)
At this point it was time for color spraying. I was completely inspired by Anna (Finn) Dabrowska for this part of the piece. I saw her recent Prima video stream and loved how she did all the spraying at the end, which really ties the piece together! So figured I'd give it a try - it works! I used the following sprays: Ranger butterscotch and lettuce color wash and Dylusions (former UK line) worn leather and granite, along with perfect pearl mists in biscotti, green patina, and copper. I intentionally left a lot of un-sprayed areas so the colors would stand out.
Needed some more embellishments, so added some corked vials colored with alcohol ink, and another mini gear to the upper right section, and stamped some simple "arrow" stamps (hand-carved), embossed with black embossing powder.
At this point I adhered the masking tape border strips to top and bottom with gel medium, and as a final touch I splattered some granite ink spray over the whole piece, using a paint brush tapped against a wooden dowel.
Hope you enjoyed following along on our project - we've got another one coming for you on Saturday! Make sure you pop over to Hels' blog to check out her canvas - it's STUNNING as always! Hope you can come back on Saturday!