Sunday, July 8, 2012

I Challenge Thee... Jumbo Tag "Dream"

Hi everyone,

Hels and I have been at it again... we're on a roll!  Today's post coincides with Hels' weekly Sunday Stamper challenge, so it's a two-fer.  We were both completely inspired by Anna Dabrowska's (aka Finnabair) recent live-stream show for Prima, so we decided to do our own take on her fabulous tags.

Here's our recipe:

- Jumbo Tag with 2 1/4" cut off at bottom and 'dangling'
- Die Cuts or Punches
- Paint / Texture Paste optional
- Loads of embellishments
- Ink sprays of choice
- Paper flowers
- Stamps of choice
- Torn strips of canvas / book text
- Masking / washi tape
- "Dream"


I started by gluing alternating strips of raw canvas, book text canvas, masking tape and washi tape printed with red text across the tag, from top to bottom.   I added a strip of leafy vine (Martha Stewart border punch) painted with lettuce paint dabber.  


Then it was time for loads of paper flowers, along with metal filigree leaves on both the top and bottom segments of the tag.


I tucked an ornate plate into the flower grouping and stamped the word DREAM (Paper Artsy) on canvas in the center. 


Added some random embellishments to balance the tag, and then sprayed with a combination of several ink sprays (color wash, perfect pearl mist, and a couple of custom ink sprays with distress re-inkers and perfect pearls).  I attached the two sections of the tag together with eyelets and some black hemp.


We're having a blast with these "recipe-style" challenges - hope you're having fun playing along.  Be sure to pop over to Hels' blog to check out her gorgeous Sunday Stamper piece, or if you've already been there... thanks for popping over to see me! 

Have a great week!

~ ellen.

15 comments:

Lynnda said...

I arrived here via HELS blog and I have to say I love, this tag, I love the suspended piece, the torn strips,lovely colours, love it!!

Lynnda x

Helen said...

oh wow, this is gorgeous! I love the colours you've chosen. simply beautiful.

Aquarius said...

Popped over as directed by Hels and so pleased I did - another fabulous take on the recipe. Love the colours and texture and the idea of suspending part of the tag at the bottom is great.

Minxy said...

Beautiful work Ellen, long time no see {my fault} Hope your well xx

Caz said...

Gorgeous work from both of you again. I was checking out the Prima shows last night and watched the one you based this on!! How spooky is that!!
Always love to see your recipes and how different the two pieces turn out.
Hugs
xx

Sarah said...

What a beauty Ellen - so rich and sumptuous! LOVE the flowers!!!!!! Just had a quick scroll down and I am drooling over all your makes and so desperate to get to my inky zone...alas it is all boobs and baby bums at the mo.

Wonderful creativity and style on show - go Ellen!

Elaine said...

Loving your tag today. Love the vintagey colours and all the detail. It's great that you and Hels can start with the same supplies but the outcome is completely different!!

Hels Sheridan said...

Corrrr, yours in TOTES-chuffing-AMAZEBALLSALICIOUS.... LOVE it LOADS... and thank you for the push in the right direction to get me out of my creative rut and into such a fab technique.... can't wait for the next *recipe*xxx

Alie said...

Gorgeous Ellen, the way you made the tag longer...love the details on it!

greetings, Alie :-)

Candy C said...

Hey Ellen...I have been so out of touch lately with blogland. I've been looking at some of your more recent posts and I'm blown away! Your art journal pages are amazing and so are your challenge pieces. I love them all. Girl, give you something arty to play with and you create a masterpiece! Love your work!!! I'm heading to NY this afternoon for some well deserved R&R with a friend since junior high school.
Love you!
<3 Candy

isisimaginings.com said...

Wow, that is so gorgeous.

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow, beautiful layers and textures. Gorgeous!

Anita Houston said...

Absolutely stunning and just eye candy for my creative soul!!! You and Hels have made a beautiful partnership...I'm so jealous!!! Stunning work!

Marjie Kemper said...

Scrumptious! Loving every last detail.

Gillian .... said...

J'ADORE <3<3<3 ... simply scrumptious. {{{hugs}}} xx