Thursday, July 19, 2012

Jumbo Double Dylusions Tag

Hello!

I managed to find a window of time in the studio in the morning before the heat of the day took over and was able to work on my Dylusions tags.  I had done the backgrounds with two jumbo tags, spritzing ink on one tag and then pressing the other over top to get its "twin".  Rather than doing two separate tags, I decided to join them together into one GI-NORMOUS tag!  Here's the result:


Fun, right? I joined the two tags together by running a seam of thick masking tape across the seam between the two (on the back, of course), trimming off the excess. 

The backgrounds were done using the turquoise and fresh lime ink sprays.  Then I added some stencils using london blue and cut grass inks with the number and alpha stencils.   Scraped some gesso through the circles stencil, stamped a few diamonds with jet black archival and I was ready to start embellishing!


The borders were created by stamping one of the pennant (bunting) stamps repeatedly on one of my scraped paint page scraps, and then cut out each section and glued to the tag.  Accented the dots with a white gelly roll pen, and outlined each section with a black sharpie.


I kept the face stamp pretty simple, coloring in the brows, lips and eyelash tips with inks and a water brush.  But I wanted to make the hair really dimensional, so I stamped the half flower six times on white card stock.  I cut out the full flower on three of them, and on the other three I cut out the flower without the top layer.  Used my fingers to curl each petal and then arranged them behind the face.  Love this look!


Her "neck" was done using the "eyeball" border, but I bent the stamp into a curled shape before putting it on the acrylic block.  I colored in the whites of the eyeballs with a white gelly roll pen to help them stand out against the background. 


The sentiment was done using the "believe" and "art" stamps from THIS set.  I wrote the word "in" trying to imitate Dyan's style, and then added "your own" in *my own* handwriting.  I like the contrast of the two different writing styles.  Couldn't resist adding this awesome spider... love him.


I went around the entire tag with a black Sharpie paint pen to give it a frame.  And finally, I added two wire pins at the top of the tags and attached some dyed sari silk to them to form a hanger for the finished piece.


Hope you enjoyed this "Double Jumbo" tag.  I like the larger size - almost like a journal page!  The tags I used are size #12 - the same size Ranger is releasing at CHA! 

Hope you're having a great week.  I'm having fun watching (from afar... pout...) all my favorite designers do their thing at CHA.  Lots of great new products coming out - can't wait to get my hands on some new stash and have a good play!

Take care til next time.

~ ellen.

22 comments:

isisimaginings.com said...

Wow, stunning tag, great idea to put two together like that.

Kaz said...

As always stunning!!! Love the jumbo style tag too xxx

Kaz x

Nancy said...

Ellen, this is WONDERFUL!!! How ingenious - doubling the tags! And with Dyan's products, you can never go wrong - LOVE this!!!

Sue said...

What a brilliant fab idea. Can't wait to get my hands on these jumbo tags.

Love the work on the tags, so much detail as always.

Gina Sismilich said...

Fantastic artwork - love the face!

Anita Houston said...

FAN TAG ATASTIC!!! Fun, original, and beautiful!!!

Helen said...

Love it (them!) Perhaps we should petition for tags made this side... Off to play myself now...

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous inky tag, love love the colours and the border and her hair is wonderful. Tracy x

Terry said...

This is one dylusional stunner! Love the added banner! I use those sharpies as well! Love this!

Gillian .... said...

Utterly AWESOME tag Ellen, love all the quirky elements to it. xx

Theresa said...

Great tag! Love the idea and design. Thanks as always for sharing.

Bast said...

Wow gorgeous tag! I really love the look of the two tags joined together. Really great idea! Thanx for sharing and for the inspiration! :)

KimMJ
bast830@comcast.net

Candy C said...

Very cool piece, Ellen. You just rock the Dylusions stuff my friend! <3 Candy

Chris said...

Hi Ellen, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Michelle Webb said...

Wonderful idea Ellen, love those colours and the bunting, Dylusions inks & stamps are so cool. Trace and I did our challenge thee, and we really loved it. We can't wait to do it all over again. Such a great idea, Thank you. Michelle x

Hels Sheridan said...

So, I nipped over for a mooch and seen that I forgot to leave you some lurve on this post! Gah, silly old bag am I!! anyways... this is LUSH... using red and green and making it NOT look like Xmas is genius... LOVE IT!!! xxx

Anita Houston said...

Just wanted to say Happy Birthday!!!!

Carole Z said...

Wow! I just popped over from Hels' blog and she is right, will have to come back after work with the tea and biccies for a proper look! Fab! And have a super birthday :) Carole Z X

Planetsusie said...

Hi there - I've nipped over from Hels blog - but will be back later to have a proper look. Thought I would wish you happy birthday - I love batty people, they make me feel right at home !LOL

Hugs Sue P xxxxx

Julia S-W said...

Popped here via Hels' blog and I can see why she loves your work so much. Simply stunning. I have followed so I can come back. . . .
Juliax
Happy Birthday too!

Seahorse Ranch Girl said...

These colors are delicious. I've just found Dylusions and their creator. A new world has opened up.

Scrappychick said...

Absolutely love this!