Monday, July 16, 2012

Studio 490 - Art Parts Extravaganza - Part 1

Hello!

Hope you all had a lovely weekend - it has gotten STUPID HOT here in Baltimore again... heat index over 100... ughhh... But I managed to make a trip down to Queen's Ink to visit with Queen Patti and pick up some stash... mostly just 'staples' ... restocking idea-ology, mini canvases, etc. but it's always good to see the Queen!

It has been a while since I had a good play Studio 490 Style, and I have been craving a big project, so I decided it was high time to take ALL of my Art Parts and Blossom Bucket pieces and just dump them into a big pile on the floor so I could mix and match and build something fun.  Sort of like 'blocks' when I was a kid!  BTW, have you seen the sneak peeks for the new Studio 490 line? WOW!  Loving it - way to go Wendy!  Check it out HERE if you're interested...

Here's the PILES ... fun, right?? :)



You can see just a hint at the seed of the idea I used for my project in the top photo... Here's a more *direct* hint...


Yep... that's right... I decided to join together FIVE of the film strip frames into one gi-normous art parts piece - FUN!   I'll show them to you in sections... All the Studio 490 stamps, art parts, blossom bucket embellishments, and Idea-ology used in this project are available at Simon Says Stamp... Here's the first...


I started by using black soot distress stain to color the film strips.  It took a couple of coats because the art parts are very absorbent.   All of the frame bases were covered with vintage dictionary paper in the center, and tissue tape across the tops and bottoms.

I've broken down each frame into its main components below... here we go...


Art parts flowers with a blossom bucket center.  The flowers were painted with butterscotch and cranberry paint dabbers and over-stamped with Studio 490 polka dot and checker/flower background stamps.


The square base is the center from an art parts frame (this element repeats in several shapes and sizes throughout).  The base was painted with cranberry paint dabber and stamped with the vintage letter script stamp.  Art Parts jar, painted with lettuce paint dabber, stamped with matching stamp, given a coat of rock candy crackle paint, and added idea-ology lock, key, and snaps (the snaps are repeated on all the elements below).


Rectangle base painted with butterscotch paint dabber with the alpha background stamp (one of my favs!).   Art parts hand and "twisty toy winder thingy" painted with black paint dabber, and added an idea-ology word band altered with butterscotch paint.

And here we go with the second section...


OK... must admit... LOVE this one... Base with lettuce paint and screen background stamp.  Ideaology pocket watch with vintage dictionary paper on the base and a mini art parts queen added (grungeboard face and art parts crown)... then... and this is my favorite part... added the Blossom Bucket glasses on the top of the watch with tiny little beads for eyes (yes... the oh so obvious pun... she's got beady little eyes... )  hahaha... The word "LOVE" was cut from the same dictionary.. needed a teeny tiny scale.  Game spinner with mini gears below.


This circular part bridges the gap between sections 2 and 3.  This one is all about art parts, paint dabbers and background stamps.  Love the graphic look.


And here's section 3...


Star border art parts across the stop, stamped with polkadot background with snaps in the center.  Had a nice big empty spot that was *begging* for that gorgeous idea-ology crown.  Seriously, the most awesome crown ever.  I hoard them whenever I have one for the *perfect* piece.  This qualified!


Art parts vintage truck with butterscotch paint and striped background.  Added mini gears, a word bar,  and the blossom bucket postmark piece.


Last section for today... bridging the gap to section 4. Small square art part base, lettuce paint, "square-ka-dot" background stamp, with 2 blossom bucket hearts. 


You've got a sneak peak into the 4th segment... I'll be back tomorrow with segments 4 and 5, and I'll  show how you how I put the whole thing put together.  Hope you're enjoying....  Thanks for stopping by!

~ ellen.

3 comments:

Helen said...

This is one mega project and it looks amazing - can't wait to see the rest.... you'll need to replenish your art parts pile now - good job there's some fab new ones coming along!

Gabrielle said...

Such an incredibly cool idea and really fabulous ton look at! Can't wait to see 4&5. It;s a good lesson for me 'cos I'm a hoarder and maybe I should use what I have?

Hels Sheridan said...

Absolutely chuffing totes-chuffing-amazeeeballs this is hun... having seen it in the real (on Skype) I can agree that it is A BEAUTY! So much to look at, it needs pride of place in my Room of Stash (hahahaaa) xx