Friday, August 17, 2012

Back to Back Dylusions Tags

Hello!

Today's tag started as a result of my struggles to master Dyan's "ghosting" technique... I know what you're thinking... 'what's the big deal'?  Well... for some reason... I just could not get it through my thick skull that you do NOT dry the inks in the background... like AT ALL... before doing the ghosting.  It took a phone call with Queen Patti AND an in person scolding and demo... boy did I feel silly...

That said... the back side of this back-to-back project was the demo tag that Patti did for me... to prove once and for all ... STEP AWAY FROM THE HEAT GUN ELLEN!   :)  All of this was done with good grace and humor... it was actually hysterical, and by the time I left the store they were calling me "Casper"... as in "The Friendly Ghost" !!! ROFL!  Here we go...


Started with Dylusions spray inks in post box red, squeezed orange and lemon zest.  It won't come as a surprise that I did NOT heat dry the background at this stage.  Then I did some ghosting with the alpha stencil, and it worked! Added some more stencil spraying with alphas and circles, did some lines with the craft scraper and gesso, and big circles with a jar lid.  Did a hand-sketched border.  Then drew a house on some book text and colored it in with Faber Castell water color pencils / water brush.  Added the sentiment and some outlines / white gelly roll pen accents... Side A done... the arrow stamp tells you to flip the tag over for Side B....


Same techniques as Side A... ink spray background, ghosting with stencils, then ink sprays through stencils, hand sketched border, hand drawn house on book text, water color pencils, and part 2 of the  sentiment.  I stapled the two tags together, back-to-back, with a Tiny Attacher "X" in each corner.

All credit for the hand-drawn houses goes to Kate Crane... I just got her two new Art Journaling DVD's (Bold Backgrounds and Personalized Pages) and they are AWESOME!  Her instruction is very laid back, low key and calming, and packed with lots of detail and tips.  Such a great value - $29.99 for over 3 hours of instruction... can't go wrong.  Thanks for the reminders and inspiration, Kate!  If you're in the US, you can order her DVD's HERE

All of the items used on this tag are available locally in the Baltimore-Washington area at The Queens Ink, in the U.K. at Art From the Heart, and on-line in the U.S. from Simon Says Stamp!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

~ ellen.


8 comments:

Helen said...

Great ghosting, and I love your double sided tag.

Nancy said...

LOVE double-sided - what a great idea! And congrats on mastering ghosting - it's such a fun technique! Oh - and your houses? Very cool! Now to get out my text pages when I get home ... lol

Eloise said...

What a great tag(s). Love your ghosting effect. Maybe now i can do it too. Thanks for sharing.

Dylan said...

I am lost for words oh gorgeous one xx lol

Anita Houston said...

You are so funny!!! I love it! These are gorgeous and I love how you did them back to back.
I did a video a few months ago and this was one of the techniques on it. I love it...I love all of her techs! You do her proud!

Hels Sheridan said...

Love the lushness of these hun, I am not laughing at you cos I have tried that tech and did exactly the same thing... whoops lol x

Bast said...

Absolutely beautiful tags! Love the craft scraper gesso technique. Just got the DVDs now I must go and watch them. Thanx for the inspiration.

KimMJ
bast830@comcast.net

thekathrynwheel said...

Woohoo! Thanks for the shout :-) Love all your artwork here especially your hand drawn houses!