Monday, August 27, 2012

Better Than I Even Imagined

Hi All,

As most of you know, I was quite the lucky girl last week as I had the opportunity to take 4 classes over 2 days with Tim Holtz.  I've been following Tim's art, blog, videos, shows, and products for about 4 years now, but this is the first opportunity I've had to take classes with him.  I'll show some pix of the experience as I share the things that meant the most to me... Right up front, the requisite pictures of me with Tim and Mario.  HAD to be done, right?



As you can probably imagine, the anticipation was palpable and my imagination was running wild leading up to the event.  I can tell you without hesitation that the experience was one I will *never* forget!  Not only was I able to take the classes, but I got a seat right up front, right next to Tim's work table, for all 4 classes.

Queen Patti - playing her part! :)
Me and my good friend Donna - we had a blast together!
Tim has been teaching for a long time, and understandably, he's quite good at it.  The classes were paced perfectly to allow plenty of time to listen to instruction, to do the work, and to have a lot of fun and laughter along the way.  There was never a sense of being rushed.  And a surprise for me was that he is really funny!  He loves to talk and loves to tell stories about all his teaching adventures.  But the thing he kept repeating, that I slowly came to believe, is this.... "He IS one of us."  He has all the same crazy thoughts, understands the excitement of new experiences, and was able to relate to everyone on such a wonderfully natural level.  That is what I will remember most.

Souvenir tote bag from the Queens Ink.  I got mine signed by both Tim and Mario after this pic.
Heart & Soul - awesome project - and easier than it looks.
Patchwork Pandemonium - marathon class!  So worth it!
Just as exciting was the chance to meet Mr. BTS ("Behind The Scenes" for those of you who haven't been following him on Twitter), Mario, Tim's Business Manager.  I don't know what it is about Mario - it's hard to explain, but he just oozes kindness and enthusiasm.  He has an uncanny ability to make everyone feel special, and I was no exception.  From the moment Tim & Mario walked in the door (to find me blissfully unaware of their presence, busy helping out with some vacuuming in the store), to the time we had to say goodbye, Mario just quietly made sure everything was done, and all the while made everyone feel like they were a true friend.  That is such a special gift! 

Our bag of stash for the Configurations class - some of it from Tim's personal collection.
My (almost) finished Configurations box.  Still working on it.
I somehow neglected to take pix of the ruler-bound tag book we made - will share that when I finish it, which could be a while. 

So - all in all - the classes were amazing - but what I'll really remember is the kindness, the excitement, and the generosity.  Tim actually bought 100 vintage clothes hangers - one for every person in the Patchwork class.  He had one for his sample, and figured everyone needed one.  They were $10 each!  Yes - do the math - wow.  Sorry for the blurry pic - was so excited and didn't want to miss the shot as they were handing them out VERY quickly!


Thanks for listening to my rambling... if you've never had a chance to take a class with Tim & Mario, don't pass up the opportunity if it comes your way.  Honestly, it doesn't even matter what the class is - just GO.  You won't regret it.  I'll be back to blogging tags and journal pages soon. 

~ ellen.

18 comments:

Kaz said...

Awwellen your post is totes amazeballs!! Really felt like we were with you and you are so right tim and Mario are just the most lovilest peeps xox

Sue said...

Ellen so glad you had a fab time. I can totally relate to what you are saying reference both Tim & Mario, they are both so natural and normal!!!!!!!!!I had the priviledge to take a class with him at AFTH and I will remember it always.

Debby said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. I have been fortunate to take classes with Tim (& Mario) at many trade events and you are absolutely correct; they are very kind and gracious. Tim is a fabulous instructor and Mario keeps things running like a top.

mrich2500 said...

Lucky girl, gorgeous projects...so glad you enjoyes it & got to sit up front ;)

Anita Houston said...

I so so agree...they are wonderful! I had no idea you hadn't met them...what a thrill! I could totally feel your excitement in your post! Love your projects! I so wanna take his metal heart and patchwork class. I also wanna go to Patti's store, love her too! TFS!

Helen said...

Sounds an amazing couple of days, can't wait to see your projects.

Michelle Webb said...

Sounds like you had a totally awesome time, and I'm sure I would too with those wonderful people. The heart looks unreal Ellen, just wonderful, and the scrapbook page and configurations box is brilliant too. I hope one day I'll meet Time and the team. Michelle x

Staci Shuck said...

Wonderful account of a wonderful weekend Ellen!!! It was great to see you even if for just a short time! Tim's classes are ALWAYS a great experience and the people he brings together are awesome too! Thanks again for looking out for me! See again you soon!

inkypinkycraft said...

This is the thing dreams are made of...sounds amazing!! Cannot wait to see more details of your projects!!! Trace. X

KAT said...

I took the same classes with Tim in Boston this year - I loved every minute of it - Tim and Mario have a way of making you feel special, you know like you are one of 10 in a class instead of 1 in 100... He is amazing and I am glad you had a chance to experience his awesomeness!

isisimaginings.com said...

Such a warm-hearted, wonderful post! I'm very glad you had such a great time. Tim & Mario are the BEST & your pieces are fantastic.

Hels Sheridan said...

Cor, I can feel your buzzing enthusiasm thru your words hun.... tis truly an awesome experience isn't it? Wish I could have been there to see you actually living it... Skype was good yesterday tho... those projects are F A B!!! lotsa love xxx

betjunroe said...

Great pics Ellen! I can't wait to get copies of mine. Totally agree with your assessment of Tim and Mario. They were fabulous--I was amazed to discover Tim is so funny! Great to see you there. Bette

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow, amazing pics, looks like you had a fabulous time. Love your post, feel like I was right there with you! And you are right, Tim and Mario are both great peeps :-)

Candy C said...

Awesome Possum!!! Are Tim and Mario not some of the coolest people on the planet? Love his teaching style. Your pieces are amazing, Ellen. I so enjoyed looking at your pics. <3 Candy

505whimsygirl said...

Very cool Ellen!!!! To be able to sit practically in his lap for all four classes - wow.

Your projects look amazing!!! Thanks for sharing.

Peace,
Kay

Andrea said...

Ellen soooooooo glad you had a brilliant time, Tim is an amazing person and I love to hear him talk, though only met him once, those there coat hangers look like metal ones I have in my wardrobe x

Kim said...

It is so true - just go - no matter what. I had the chance this year when Tim, Mario and the crew came to Australia and I was so glad I went.

They are such lovely, giving people!

Love the work you did too!