Monday, August 13, 2012

New Dylusions Tag - Reach for the Stars

Hello!

Happy to be back in blog land!  I've taken the last few weeks off as I've been recovering from surgery.  Since most of you reading this are of the female persuasion, I'm sure you'll understand.... I was having some fairly intense female issues and needed to have a hysterectomy.  I, for one, am *thrilled* to be finished with that particular part of womanhood!  I'm feeling back to normal now, going back to work today, and wanted to share a Dylusions project.

During my recovery I was sooo fortunate to receive all the new Dylusions stamps and stencils!  Perfect timing!  Here's a tag I made using the new stars stencil...


I started by creating a background using Dylusions ink sprays on a Ranger #12 manila tag.  These tags are GI-NORMOUS!  After the ink sprays, I added some additional interest using the circle and alphabet stencils, spraying through them with additional ink spray.


Then I got the new Stars stencil out and traced through it with a black sharpie pen, and painted in each star with a few coats of white gesso.  Then I traced around each star again with a black Stabilo-All pencil (a.k.a. the "magic pencil" according to Dina Wakley).  When you paint over the pencil with a water brush, it blends and bleeds slightly creating instant shadow and depth.  Love them!  (A charcoal pencil or black watercolor pencil would have a similar effect.)


Added the flying birds stamp from the "Bits and Bats" stamp set, and the "eyeball" border from the "Inbetweenies" stamp set, highlighting around each bird and inside each eye with a white gelly roll pen.


The final touch was added the sentiment, which I stamped using two different alpha stamp sets, cutting out each word and outlining with black sharpie for definition.

Hope you enjoyed this Dylusions project - I'm loving the new stamps and stencils and have LOTS more to share over the coming weeks.  Lots of holiday options!

All of the items used on this tag are available locally in the Baltimore-Washington area at The Queens Ink (where this tag will happily reside in the Queen-dom), in the U.K. at Art From the Heart, and on-line in the U.S. from Simon Says Stamp!  

Thanks for stopping by - it feels great to be back among the bloggers of the world!  Now I better go and get myself ready to head back to work.... I'll be back regularly with some more projects from my time off. 

~ ellen.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Yippe dooooooo Ellen - looking bright on the inside and out methinks. I've only just caught up on all my emails and heard all the news. Sorry for not calling by sooner. Those wombs are indeed trouble! Still on no sleep here! So glad to hear you are bouncing back and getting inky too. Your tag is fabulous and full of life and colour...
Crafty life here is skinny and my girly bits are in need of attention too...TMI! Oh well, we are all girls... anyway - gotta fly I'm off to the sea for a week. xxxx take care... x Sarah.

Helen said...

Good to see you back and glad you are recovering from the surgery! Love your giant tag, it is stunning. A great way to celebrate your return to blogdom and crafting!

Candy C said...

Ellen...such a cool tag! Love the bright background and the white stars. That white design going around the edges really pops, too. I really love the sentiment. It's perfect for your design. So glad that you're feeling like your old crazy self again! Trust me...you will NOT miss the "plumbing" that you had removed. It's like a new lease on life! :) Love ya,
<3 Candy

mrich2500 said...

Gorgeous tag to celebrate your new found "freedom"!

Nancy said...

I'm so glad your surgery went well! Yep, being on this side of being female rocks!!!
LOVE your tag! LOVE it! I've GOT to get the new stamps & stencils!!

Lori said...

Very cool tag, Ellen! Love the white against those colors..will need to do that more! As always, you're a huge inspiration! Glad to hear surgery went well and you're on the mend! Big hugs to you...Lori

Hels Sheridan said...


I am with Candy, having the old gear box out is a revelation and very liberating.... am so glad you came thru it all so well... still can't bleieve you are back at work so soon! LOVE the tag, tis... totesamazeballs xx

betjunroe said...

So glad you are feeling better and making art again. Love all the colors in the tag. It looks like an appropriate message for all the Olympic hopefuls! Bette

Gillian .... said...

Hi Ellen, so good to see you back and glad the surgery went well. Like Hel's & Candy said you won't miss it, you will feel like a new woman once you start to recover, take it easy and don't overdo things. {{hugs}} xx

This tag is fan-flippin-tastic, you rock the Dylusions. xx

Kaz said...

Hello Ellen, great to hear all is going good!! Love your tag, the stars are faberoonie xox take plenty of rest big snogs

Kaz x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

So glad to hear you are on the mend Ellen. Love your tag, great vibrant blend of colours and lovely layout. Glad to have you back. Tracy x

Anita Houston said...

Hysterectomy was the best thing ever!!!! Glad to see you crafting again! Love this bright and fun tag! The jumbo is my favorite size! Great design here!

Marjie Kemper said...

I'm hearing really good things about the Big H.... glad to hear you're all sorted out and back at it. Love your bright tag!