Monday, September 10, 2012

Art Parts Patchwork Heart Frame

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a nice weekend - we finally had some *non* summer weather here yesterday and it was delightful!  I spent the weekend playing in the studio, and wanted to share an Art Parts piece I made last week... I was lucky enough to get my hands on some new Studio 490 stamps and art parts and wanted to give them some attention...

This piece came to mind because I had a ton of leftover squares of paper from my Configurations class with Tim.  Every little compartment was lined with paper, and the method required cutting off of all the corners into perfect 1.5" squares.  So I had quite a stack of them.  I had seen Wendy Vecchi use scraps to cover Art Parts before, so I figured this was the perfect chance to try it out...


I glued each square down to a piece of white card stock with Ranger's glue 'n' seal, and then traced the art part heart onto the finished result.  I cut around the heart and the center opening and adhered it, again with glue 'n' seal, using it both as glue (underneath) and a sealer (over the top).


Then I chose some of Wendy's new art parts with matching stamps - I love the wildflower and the butterfly.  I stamped each image on to the coordinating art part with distress embossing ink and then sprinkled on some black embossing powder.  Once it was heat-set I used distress markers to color in the images.


I added a mini gear and game spinner to the butterfly, and accented the edges with Inka Gold (copper).  I also used the copper accents on the flourish accent (Studio 490 embellishment by Blossom Bucket).


Then I created a coordinating background for the center part of the frame.   I used the wrinkle free distress technique, with some copper perfect pearl mist splattered over the top, and added Wendy's new honeycomb background stamp with coffee archival ink.


Finally, I chose this new sentiment (Studio 490 of course). Stamped it in black archival and cut out each line to fit inside the frame.  I outlined each line with a black sharpie.

The finishing touch was to add the black pearl pen accents around the outside and inside frames, to add emphasis and a border to each part of the frame.  I'm totally addicted to my pearl pens (Viva) lately.   I've also discovered Ranger's liquid pearls, which give the same result, but they have tons more vibrant colors to choose from!  I sense a new collection beginning... (eek! like I need another one... NOT!)


Hope you enjoyed my art parts piece... I did some playing in my ledger journal this weekend, too... here's a sneak peak of a page I did.... it's the background before any collage or journaling was added.... I'll be back tomorrow to share the finished result....


Have a good Monday... I'm off to work....

~ ellen

10 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning project! Such a great tehnique, love it!!

Nancy said...

Gorgeous, Ellen! Gorgeous!!!

Were your ears burning last night? Lori & I were talking about you - we Skype'd, like you & Hels! Fun times!!!

Hope all's well with you!

wendy vecchi said...

let me just say this...

AWESOME!
LOVE IT LOTS!

thekathrynwheel said...

GORGEOUS! I love them both :-)

Leslie M. said...

I love the heart! I saved those pieces too - you have given me an idea!

Candy C said...

Gorgeous Ellen. Love it! <3 Candy

Birdie said...

Fabulous Ellen - you have inspired me to 'have a go'!! What size is the art parts heart please?

ellen vargo said...

Birdie - Here's a link to the art parts heart frame.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/servlet/the-36624/frames-sweetheart-sweet-heart/Detail

It's approximately 6" tall. Enjoy and have fun!

Anita Houston said...

Fabulous Ellen!!! I love the patchwork on the heart, and those tiny onyx dots as a border...perfect!!! Fab design!

Lori said...

WOW! Totally LOVE this Ellen!