Thursday, September 6, 2012

Dylusions Ledger Page

Hi everyone,

I recently bought Kate Crane's new DVD's - #3 and #4 - and was inspired to jump on the vintage ledger bandwagon.  I found a real beauty on eBay for only $10!  Of course the shipping was another $12, but still.... what a STEAL! 

I've christened the ledger with my first journal page...


Started with my favorite Dylusions ink sprays for the background, adding stenciling and stamping as usual.  I love that the ink sprays are transparent so you can still see the ledger entries behind them.


Added some texture with gesso and dimensional pearl swirls.


My collage is from magazine cut outs - and the bunting (pennant) stamps made a nice spiky hat topper.  The hat is actually cut out from the image of a killer whale.


Added the checkered background using a paint dabber and refined the image with white/black sharpie paint pens.


Then added the quote, which I love.  I love a good challenge, especially the arty kind.  I'm always looking for new techniques and things to try.  I'm still a little gun-shy with my doodling.  One of these days I need to just jump in.  Stay tuned...

This ledger is on the large side... approx 8 x 12 when closed.  And it's got over 200 pages with entries on every single page!  Love it!  This should keep me going for a LONG LONG time!

Have an awesome day!

~ ellen.



11 comments:

Debbie said...

Amazing pages Ellen, I love the sound of the ledger, I know Kate has mentioned it before.
I recieved Kates first two DVD's when i subscribed to a magazine, they are great. r the new DVD's good too? Must get them.
Did nto realise you had used a magazine for this image what a great idea.
Have a good day. Debbiex

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Great find with the ledger Ellen. Love your vibrant page and fantastic text. Tracy x x

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow! Love this Ellen, it's fabulous. So, you couldn't resist the lure of a ledger huh?! You won't regret it :-)

Ali H said...

great page - love the colours & the layers - especially like your lettering style -using the white really makes the black pop ! Ali x

Anita Houston said...

I got lucky and found an old book of poems and such from my husbands grandmother recently to use as an art journal, but I haven't had the courage to start in it yet...love your ebay find! I really love that you used that whale skin image again...loved the tail last time. This is a killer spread...gorgeous design and color too! Love the quote!

Janet said...

I love this layout! The transparent ink lets the writing comes through. I love that look! Very nice, Ellen. Thanks for sharing!

Dawn said...

What a beautiful page! I love black and white check! I needed the reminder about challenges too, I am a beginning artist so everything seems like a challenge lately but they are not without purpose. Thanks so much for sharing your work!

Tracy said...

Gorgeous pages. I love that lettering. The quote is so true - how do you know what you can do unless you try to do something you think you can't?

Linda said...

Fantastic spread!! How cool too that you were able to find the ledger with the writing-love it!

Candy C said...

Ellen...this is so striking! I totally love it! Who would ever think these are ledger pages? Such a cool background! How did you keep from getting the pages soaked through? LOVE your lettering, too! Please tell me that's not freehand..so that I might be able to do something like this! :) Your work on these pages is phenomenal! LOVE IT! <3 Candy

bohemiannie! art said...

Love these pages!