Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ledger Journal - Wonders of Nature

Hello!

As promised, I'm back today to share the next page in my ledger journal.  Yesterday I shared a sneak peak of the background before any collage or journaling was added.


The background was done with Dylusions ink sprays (london blue, vibrant turquoise, fresh lime and cut grass).  Then added some more ink sprayed through stencils (large circles, large alpha), and then some gesso scraped through the large harlequin stencil.


I decided to add some stamping, but wanted to use some of my hand carved stamps.  I used my vertical striped border at the top left and bottom right, and the horizontal stripes went across the book text at the bottom.  Then I added my arrow stamp in a few places using black archival ink so it would be a bolder image.  And lastly, my circle spiral stamp was scattered in a few places - they're hard to see because I used a light green ink.


The large circles scattered across the page started by using book text and a 2" circle punch.  I outlined each circle with a Stabilo ALL pencil, traced over with a water brush to blend. Stamped my circle outline stamp in veridian green archival, added some cobalt teal paint, and a dab of gesso in the middle.

(sorry for the glare... )
The white drips were done with Golden airbrush paint.  Since this paint is made for airbrushing, it's already very watered down so it's ideal for "drippage".


Then I added all my collage elements using Ranger's glue 'n' seal.  I was a real skeptic about this product when it first came out, but I must say I REALLY like it!  It's lighter than multi medium and it dries faster.  Excellent for paper gluing. My collage elements were cut out of a magazine called "Birds and Blooms" - awesome if you love birds and butterflies!  My SIL has a steady stream of back issues coming my way = SCORE!


Last but not least, I kept the journaling very simple this time since the page was so busy and full already.  I used an alpha stamp set I've had for ages to stamp out "Wonders of Nature"... I think my collage style will be more nature-based than fashion-based.  I've tried the fashion magazine collage "thing" many times and it just doesn't 'click' for me.  But the images of nature? Love how easily they come together.   I guess what I'm saying is... make sure you use images that inspire you!  I've never been much inspired by fashion, and that's why my art journal pages weren't giving me any joy!

Thanks for stopping by!  Tomorrow I'll have a very unusual project to share...

~ ellen.

12 comments:

Hels Sheridan said...

Anything with an owl on it will be perfect for me... add in butterflies too... even more perfect... LOVE the use of your own stamps too ... FABBYLICIOUS!!!

Miranda said...

fantastic page Ellen, absolutely fabulous
hugs
Miranda

Anita Houston said...

Love this!!! I like your hooties too...lol! Glad you are able to get more!

silvergran said...

Fabulous colours,images and your own stamps..very cool!
I also find I work better with natural images...owls, yes!

Sue said...

Beautiful, stunning and flippin fantastic.

Debbie said...

Great journal spread!

Debbie said...

Great journal spread!

Jackie said...

This is beautiful!

Janet said...

Very Nice. Great background. I love that you tell us your supplies (and the colors you use)as you go. I like your spread! Thanks.

Lisa said...

I love this spread. The background is absolute fabulous. I love the drips and butterflies ande the owls and that you used homemade stamps. This rocks!

Rosie said...

Loving that this page is fundamentally collage - it makes me realise that I don't do that enough in my own journal. Gorgeous colours too!

Linda said...

love,love,love this!!! Such a great combination of colors,stencils ,stamps and imagery-love those owls!