Monday, October 1, 2012

Hand Carved Stamps

Hello!

Last week I mentioned I was taking an on-line class, so wanted to share what I've been up to... I'm a big fan of Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's, and have long-admired her hand carved stamps, so I decided to sign up for her "Stamp Carving 101" class.  It's a BARGAIN at $30, with great video demonstrations and clear instruction.

I haven't done all of the lessons yet, but here's what I've done so far... fun, fun!  I did mostly the same stamps as in the videos, with a few exceptions, because that's how I learn best.


Love this one!

Flower frame

Cool arrow / chevron patterns
But the thing I'm most proud of... an entire alphabet set!  And yes, you have to carve the reverse image of each letter so when you stamp it, it's the right way around.  But there are tips / tricks for doing this that make it super easy! I based my "font" on the way I've been journaling lately.  Note I didn't carve a "W"... because I can use the "V" twice...


So... if you have any interest in carving your own stamps, definitely check out Julie's class.  You'll get addicted!  I'll be back tomorrow with a journal page using the new alphabet stamp set.

~ ellen.

7 comments:

Julia S-W said...

Wow, these are amazing! I haven't done that technique since I was at school but what a brilliant idea to put it to making stamps. I need to have a look at that class!
Juliax

Anita Houston said...

I've always wanted to learn how to do this!!! Thanks! Your alphabet is the bomb...hint hint...I'd buy it! Go for it!!!

Lisa said...

What a great collection of stamps you've made! I took Julie's stamp carving stamp a while back, and just yesterday was sketching out a new alphabet font to carve. Great fun!

pcrusberg said...

You did a great job on your stamps! I really like your alphabet.

pcrusberg said...

I really like your stamps. You did a great job. Looks like you've been carving stamps for years!

Hands to Work, Hearts to God said...

My favorite are the alphabet stamps. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun using that! I'd like to do that. So far I've done just shapes and swirls. Patsy from
HeARTworks and
papemelroti

Hels Sheridan said...

they are SUPER cool... love the flower one (wonder why lol) Actually, just having a mahoooosive catch up, LOVE all your latest bloggy things, those journals with the hand-drawn flowers are gorgeous... needs to visit you to see them in the real methinks xx