Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I'm Late... I'm Late... Dylusions Challenge

Hi everybody,

If you love Dylusions like I do, you may know about the group on Facebook called "THE DYAN REAVELEY SOCIETY OF ART JOURNALING".  Dyan set a challenge for the group, and I did manage to get a page done, but never managed to get it posted!  Like I said, life's been a little crazy lately.  But wanted to share the page anyway...


The challenge was to use the color orange, Dyan's spider stamp(s), and use the phrase "new beginnings".  So I started by creating my background, using Dylusions ink sprays in squeezed orange, pure sunshine, and then added some crushed grape at one end of the page, letting the purple drip down the page.


Then I added some more sprays through Dylusions stencils (dotted flowers and number jumble), some background stamping with the "Lego" stamp and monarch orange archival ink, and some birds flying across the page.


I scraped some gesso in random areas of the page, and then stamped the spider over the gesso so they would really "pop".  Then I thought it would be fun if the spiders were landing on skulls, so I stamped a skull under each spider, and then added the eyeball border stamp under each skull, like they're growing out of the ground on stems. 


Then I added some flower stamps across the bottom, to drive the "skele-flower" theme home, and colored in each flower with a red sharpie paint pen.


I added a black border with a sharpie brush marker, and then added circles (that look like more eyeballs, but in reverse) with a white sharpie paint pen.


Then, of course, I added the phrase with my hand carved alphabet stamps, outlining each letter with white paint pen and coloring in all the middles.  I then outlined all the birds and added white highlights to the spiders and flowers, and colored in the skeleton teeth and all the eyeball stems with a white gelly roll pen.

 
Hope you liked this page.  I like the contrast of endings vs. beginnings... skeletons represent and ending of life, yet flowers represent the beginning of new life.  Take care til next time!

~ ellen.

9 comments:

Helen said...

I love this!! Well, you got me at Dylusions.... lol!

Hels Sheridan said...

Like it? I LOVE IT!!!! Those eyeball thingys with the skulls... genius xx

patcrafts said...

You hope I like this page, I love, love, love it so creative.

Renee said...

Love the spiders, skulls and eyes! Really cool pages.

Ali H said...

Sort of spooky & sort of glamorous too ! Love your page ! Ali x

Anita Houston said...

These pages are super fun! Love your color and whole whimsical feel!

snazzyoriginal said...

OMG love those spiders sitting on the skulls xx

Rebecca said...

Love this
Happy craftin
Rebecca

Yvonne said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE these pages!!!