Monday, December 31, 2012

My Favorite Projects from 2012

Wow! I can't believe a whole year has passed us by - time really does fly!

Thought I'd do a little recap of 2012.  Here are my fav projects from this year... one per month... I've included a link for each month that will take you to the post for that project.

In January, Hels and I did one of our Recipe Challenges. This was one of the first BIG tags I did.  I love the combination of inky stencilled backgrounds with some idea-ology and 3-D elements on top.


In February, I did a series of Dylusions Valentine tags as a surprise for Dyan's visit to The Queens Ink.  We decorated a Christmas-style tree with all things Dylusional.  And during that visit Dyan asked me to be on her Design Team! What an honor and a dream come true!


In March (well, I made it in March... blogged it in April... close enough...) I did this Art Parts piece for one of my DT assignments for Simon Says Stamp and Show.   Art Parts are like Legos for adults - mix and match and make anything you can imagine! Love them!


April was the month I decided to *try* to draw.  Once I started I couldn't stop sketching! I had been telling myself for years that I couldn't, but somehow I realized I had never really tried.  I was so surprised to learn that I actually CAN!


In May, I did a tutorial to make this mini Art Part sketchbook, covered with embossed metal that I altered with Ranger/Vintaj Patinas.


In June, I started playing with hand carved stamps.  If you're struggling (like I am) with making your art more authentically *yours* I really encourage you to give this a try.  I love these stamps and use them a lot!


In July, Hels and I did another Recipe Challenge, and we were both inspired by the wonder that is Anna Dabrowska, aka Finnabair.  Here's the canvas board I came up with. I love the borders with my hand carved stamps and all the layers.


And I have to add a 2nd favorite from July... this ginormous art parts piece was SO much fun to make!



In August, I did a series of tags Dylusions style, using the new #12 ginormous tags from Ranger. This was one of my favorites.  I love how the white stars and the eyeball border pop out against the bright background.


In September, I got my vintage ledger from eBay and this is one of my first journal pages.  Those owls peeking in from the right just make me happy.  This page has lots of my favorites: drippage, hand carved stamps, collage, nature, inky/stampy backgrounds. Happy!


In October, I did my first set of journal pages with maps as backgrounds.  This is one of my favorites.


In November, the journalling bug had really *bitten* me! It took a long, long time, but I finally found a way of journalling that felt good and comfortable for me.  Thanks to Dina Wakley and Dyan Reaveley for helping me find my (writing) voice! Here's a page I did in my Dylusions art journal using my new journalling style.


And, finally, December... more art journalling.  I can't seem to stop!  Here's one of my more recent pages...


What a year! Thanks to all of you for all the support and encouragement along the way!  It means so much to know that people are really looking at these things I make.  We are all so fortunate to be part of this on-line blog community!

Right away, 2013 will start with a "first" for me.  I'm going to CHA! Can't believe that it's only 12 days away!  I can't wait to see all my arty friends and be able to have the CHA experience in person! I'll try to post pix on Facebook!

Hope you have a wonderful and safe New Year's Eve - all the best wishes for a New Year!

~ ellen.

13 comments:

Martha Richardson said...

It was so wonderful to meet you in 2012 and here's hoping that it will happen again in 2013! Great work...Happy New Years and here's to a CREATIVE 2013!

Hels Sheridan said...

Awww, I love them all, couldn't pick a fave one because they are all just perfect in their own way. Not long now..... I can't wait.... like seriously can't wait, like I am about to POP can't wait rofl Happy New Year to you and Jack, hope 2013 is a fabulous one for you xxx

Gina Sismilich said...

Love all your artwork. It is so much fun when you learn you can draw - it's not magic - it just takes seeing things in a new way. Love your sketch on the map. Have a lot of fun at CHA

betjunroe said...

I loved all your projects for 2012 Ellen! It's hard to pick a fav, but I really love the one from Oct. Can't wait to see what 2013 has in store! Have a wonderful time at CHA and Happy New Year! Bette

thekathrynwheel said...

A fabulous arty round-up of your year. Amazing art here!
Have a great time at CHA - wish I could be there too! x

Helen said...

Happy New Year to you, Ellen and thanks for these look backs to some of your fabulous work. Enjoy CHA and say Hi to Hels as you'll see her before I do next!!!

Kaz said...

Happy new year Ellen!! Thanks for sharing your makes.......soooooo freakin cool!! I'm well excited for you CHA!! Whooohooo have a ball and don't forget to take loads of photos xx sensing big snogs xxx

Kaz x

Patti Parrish said...

Absolutely fabulous Ellen! Awesome art year for you. I can't wait to see what you come up with in 2013!

caz said...

It's all wonderful Ellen but my favourite has to be the ginormous art parts piece in July - that was fantastic.
Hope you have a great time with Hels at CHA - not jealous (much!!)!!!!
xxx

Candy C said...

Ellen, you had a year full of creative genius, girlfriend! I love all of your styles and your projects! :) When we get together in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS, I want you to show me how to do some of your art journal pages using Dyan's style. I'll be a good student! :) Can't wait to see you!!! <3 Candy

Carol Gibson said...

Love those Dylusions tags at the top of
your post.

Anita Houston said...

Beautimous work!!! I love your colorful style! Happy New Year to you!

butterfly said...

Completely fabulous projects... what a year of amazing work! The recipe Big Tag is simply stunning...
Alison x