Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hels 'N' Els Recipe Challenge - #10 Friends Tag

Hello!

Another project Hels and I were able to do while she was here was an *IN PERSON* recipe challenge!  The best we've ever managed is a 'via skype' session, but this time was the best... sitting right in my studio together crafting away the hours = heaven...

Here's our recipe:

- #10 manila tag
- cut off 2 1/2 " from bottom
- scraped paint technique
- the word "friend"
- book text collage
- tissue stamping collage
- ink spray / stencils
- 3 embellishments of choice lined up in a row
- other decorations of choice


I started by tearing up some book text and collaging it in random places on my tag with Ranger's Glue 'N' Seal - my new favorite collage medium.  It's not too thick, it dries quickly, and papers never buckle.


Then I scraped 3 colors of paint all over my #10 tag.  I'm using a new paint I discovered through my friend Patti Parrish.  It's called Pebeo Studio Acrylic - it's available HERE.  I used 3 of their iridescent colors, which give the most luscious shimmer!  Makes it tough to photograph, but hey, the price for cool paint, right?


Added a quick spray with crushed grape Dylusions spray and the Dylusions alpha jumble stencil.  Just that touch of purple really made those other bright colors *pop*.

Next I chose some cool stamps (bumble bee and numbers by Studio 490, collage stamp segments in bottom section by Dina Wakley) and stamped them using black archival ink onto tissue paper. I also used glue 'n' seal to collage those images down to my tag.  Had to be careful going over the Dylusions spray, which is reactive with water.


Added some circles with white gesso and black paint dabber and the lid from one of my sprays.  For my embellishments, I chose 3 new washers I picked up at Michael's - aren't they cool?  I think they are part of the Industrial Chic line, which I absolutely adore!  I also added 3 wire-wrapped stars that I've had in my jewelry stash forever and finally used!  I used super glue to adhere them to the tag - worked like a "charm" (hahahaha).


Added some accents with my tiny attacher and a little bumble bee charm.  Highlighted the open parts of the bumble bee with a white gelly roll pen - that image was getting a little lost in the busy background, and the white pen helped it stand out.  Added some eyelets and attached the top and bottom sections with some black hemp.

Typed the sentiment on my vintage typewriter, cut it out in sections, glued down, and outlined with my Stabilo ALL pencil - I tell ya... I *love* that pencil!

Hope you liked our recipe challenge - hope you get a chance to check out Hels' tag - once again, with the same ingredients we've come up with something completely different!  Click HERE to see Hels' tag - gorgeous as always!

Thanks for stopping by!

~ ellen.

18 comments:

Patricia Howarth said...

Hi Ellen, Just popped over from Hels' Blog, your tag is absolutely gorgeous, I love everything.
Glad you and Hels had a great time together at CHA.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Helen said...

Gorgeous tag,Ellen. It is incredible how different your results are with a recipe! I love these challenges of yours.

Terry said...

Hey there Ellen, wowzersss Your fabulously colored tag is so different then Hels, but AMAZINGLY made offcourse as allways, love the embellies you worked with and the Sentiment yep your right you can do anything with your best friend at your side, your so right. I am stunned by the fabulous colors woww Thankss for sharing sweetie, love to read your and Hels stories..and offcourse look at the Yummieness on your blogs WOW Huge hugs Terry xxx

Marleine said...

Hi
Popped over from Hels. Your work is so dif from hers. But so lovely. X

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Hi Ellen, this is stunning, love the colours. I've just seen Hels' tag, which is gorgeous. Love that you both create something so different with your recipes.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous painty background Ellen, the colours are fantastic and work together so well. Love the embellishments too. Tracy x

nannapat said...

Fabulous tag Ellen - I just popped in after seeing Hels' tag. They are both so different and beautiful. Pat x

Joanne said...

Fabulous choice of colours, patterns, embellishments - oh just everything. How you 2 sit together and come up with such eye catching fantastic art beats me after all - I know Hels and she just makes me laugh all the time...
xx

Cornish Emma said...

Just popped over from Hels, wow your tag is totally different and i love it just as much, love the colours and all the textures. Emma

Martha Richardson said...

Yummy colors and love the concept...going to try these paints!

whyducks said...

Oh that is so lovely!

betjunroe said...

Love those colors Ellen! I really love that bee stamp too. Guess I need to take out a loan for all the cool stuff I need. Bette

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Love it, Ellen. You are truly, so very talented. I love your work. I love it even more than you "friend" challenged, side by side with your friend. You & Hels have a beautiful friendship. <3

Patti Parrish said...

I LOVE this one! Great job, as usual! Thanks for the shout out!

Miranda said...

fabulous tag and such awesome colours

Caz said...

How charming is your tag?!?!?!? :-)
Love the colo(u)rs. It all ties together really well! Amazing how you come up with something so different to Hels using the same recipe......
Lotsa
xxxx

Anita Houston said...

Another PIN!!! Simply eye candy! Gorgeous! But where is the map?

Hels Sheridan said...

looks even better in the real too... what fun we had!!! xx