Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Gelli-Grunge Basket!

Hello!

I hinted the other day that I've been working on a project... one I've been wanting to try for a long time but just never got around to it.  As some of you might know, I have a craft-history of basket weaving.  When my local supply store closed, I sort of let that hobby slip, but I miss it!  So for a while I've been wanting to weave a basket with non-traditional materials... and I found a way to make it work!

I started with a pile of gelli prints on deli papers and 5 sheets of 6x12 grungepaper.


And I pulled out my "basket bible" which I've had for... oh my... almost 20 years.  It's the only basket book I've ever had and I've made several of the baskets you see on the cover.  I found a pattern that I thought would work with my chosen materials and got started.


First thing I had to do was glue all the deli/gelli prints onto the grungepaper, both front and back.  I used Ranger's glue and seal, which worked beautifully.  The pattern I chose called for 1/2" strips that were 34" long.  First I used my paper trimmer to cut the grungepaper into 1/2" strips.  Then, since grungepaper is only 12" long, I had to combine 3 strips together to get the required length.  My tiny attacher was the perfect tool.  Three mini staples to join each strip to the next.


Grungepaper is very flexible, but holds it's shape if you bend it.  The pile below could easily be a coil of actual reed for basket-making.


After following the pattern, weaving and weaving and weaving (and finding a mistake and starting over... twice!) here's the finished basket!


I wasn't worried at all about the random patterns and colors and I just LOVE how it came out!


You could use this basket for paintbrushes....


Or distress markers.... or any other kind of marker or pen/pencil for that matter....


Here's a close up on the weaving and the mini staples...


Here's the bottom of the basket.  I love baskets that have square bottoms but round tops...


And here's a shot of the inside of the basket.  That's why I had to cover both front and back of the grungepaper... I wanted color on both inside and outside of finished basket.


I can see more grunge baskets in my future... next time I think I'll try a more traditional basket - this was a difficult pattern for a first attempt because I had to weave all the pieces at one time (YIKES).  Might even try to add more/different materials into the weave along with the grungepaper.  Could use distress stain to color grungepaper and then stamp images - possibilities are endless.

Hope you enjoyed it... this was a fun experiment that worked out!  Have a great day!

~ ellen

26 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, Ellen, this is beautiful - what a labour of love it must have been!

ElizabethR said...

Great basket, the colours look fab. Elizabeth x

Debbie said...

Utterly stunning Ellen.
I love it with the Tim Markers in just perfect. Debbiex

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh, Ellen, this is FABULOUS!!!! You should share it in Carolyn Dube's gelli print party. What an awesome idea!

Melanie said...

What a sweet little basket. Love it.
Liefs, Melanie

Helen said...

Wow Ellen, this is just brilliant!!!

Gita said...

Wow, this is really neat! Love the random strips/colors woven into the basket.

Vickster said...

Wonderful! Great idea and wonderful work. Thank you for sharing...:)

Anita Houston said...

No way!!! You rocketh and rolleth!!! Awesome....totally!!!!

She said...

Hi Ellen......Love your grunge basket....It's fantastic.... would look really good on my desk :-)...I can only say what Anita has said!! Awesome.....S x

Fuchsia said...

What an absolutely fabulous Idea I really love it !
I am always looking for the right size pots and can never find one .
Brilliant

betjunroe said...

Wow Ellen, this is absolutely amazing! Maybe you could quit your day job and sell these--lol! Bette

SaraJ said...

Amazingly cool. I WANT one. Might have to do some research on basket patterns.... What a great idea Ellen!

Gillian .... said...

How stinkin cool is this Ellen ... Bravo, love the bold bright colours/pattern and the cool square bottom to the basket. Awesome! xx

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

That's fantastic!! I would never have the patience to make something like that, so I'm very impressed.

Juls said...

wowzer!! what an amazing project! Hugs Juls

Nancy Kelley said...

This is fabulous and very fun Ellen! Thanks for sharing the details on how to do it - I am going to share across our social media sites this morning - super cool!
Nancy Kelley
Gelli Arts

Judi Hurwitt (Approachable Art) said...

Very cool, well done!

Wanda H said...

This is totally awesome!!!

Roberta said...

What a great idea!

Hels Sheridan said...

TOTES CHUFFING AWESOME is this!!!! I can't believe I missed it.. musta been playing nighttime daytime lol Am saying nothing about basket cases or anythings like that.... *ducks slap* xx

Lynne Vowles said...

Fabulous, what a great way to use your gelli prints. Thanks for the inspiration.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Fantastic...saw this on gelli arts facebook page...so great! xox

Candy C said...

Ellen...this is frickin' amazing!!! I LOVE what you've done with this basket and the Gelli Plate!!! OMG.....can you say AMAZING?!?!?! <3 Candy

Barb Cady said...

This is just a beautiful piece of work! What a fabulous idea and so satisfying to use traditional crafts, brilliant work. X

Luscious said...

Wonderful!