I hinted the other day that I've been working on a project... one I've been wanting to try for a long time but just never got around to it. As some of you might know, I have a craft-history of basket weaving. When my local supply store closed, I sort of let that hobby slip, but I miss it! So for a while I've been wanting to weave a basket with non-traditional materials... and I found a way to make it work!
I started with a pile of gelli prints on deli papers and 5 sheets of 6x12 grungepaper.
And I pulled out my "basket bible" which I've had for... oh my... almost 20 years. It's the only basket book I've ever had and I've made several of the baskets you see on the cover. I found a pattern that I thought would work with my chosen materials and got started.
First thing I had to do was glue all the deli/gelli prints onto the grungepaper, both front and back. I used Ranger's glue and seal, which worked beautifully. The pattern I chose called for 1/2" strips that were 34" long. First I used my paper trimmer to cut the grungepaper into 1/2" strips. Then, since grungepaper is only 12" long, I had to combine 3 strips together to get the required length. My tiny attacher was the perfect tool. Three mini staples to join each strip to the next.
Grungepaper is very flexible, but holds it's shape if you bend it. The pile below could easily be a coil of actual reed for basket-making.
After following the pattern, weaving and weaving and weaving (and finding a mistake and starting over... twice!) here's the finished basket!
I wasn't worried at all about the random patterns and colors and I just LOVE how it came out!
You could use this basket for paintbrushes....
Or distress markers.... or any other kind of marker or pen/pencil for that matter....
Here's a close up on the weaving and the mini staples...
Here's the bottom of the basket. I love baskets that have square bottoms but round tops...
And here's a shot of the inside of the basket. That's why I had to cover both front and back of the grungepaper... I wanted color on both inside and outside of finished basket.
I can see more grunge baskets in my future... next time I think I'll try a more traditional basket - this was a difficult pattern for a first attempt because I had to weave all the pieces at one time (YIKES). Might even try to add more/different materials into the weave along with the grungepaper. Could use distress stain to color grungepaper and then stamp images - possibilities are endless.
Hope you enjoyed it... this was a fun experiment that worked out! Have a great day!