Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hels 'N' Els Recipe Challenge - Multi Canvas Painting

Hello!

Hels and I are back again with another recipe challenge.  We don't normally have these so close together, but this one got started a few weeks ago and then I was struck down with bronchitis, followed by the flu... lucky me... but I'm all better now, so it's time to share!

Here's our recipe:

- 4 x 12 canvas (orientation of choice)
- three 3 x 3 canvases on top of the 4 x 12
- brand new or never used stamp(s)
- blue, green, black, and white
- "pop" of red
- 1 metallic
- washi tape (store bought or hand-made)
- a crown

Sorry this main pic is a little blurry - the close ups are better...


I started by painting the background of all 4 canvases with Golden fluid acrylics - green gold, cobalt teal, and turquoise (phthalo).  I blended them with a good amount of water for a more mottled, watercolor look.


Then I accented the turquoise (phthalo) areas with both black and white gesso, applied in thin stripes with the edge of my craft scraper.  My 'brand new' stamp came next.  It's the sea bubbles stamp by 'Designs by Ryn'.  I stamped the bubbles in the opposing corners of each canvas with white gesso.


The sentiment is my own, though I'm sure someone has said it at some point.  I typed it out on my vintage typewriter, adhered it to the canvas, and outlined it with my Stabilo ALL pencil, blending the outlines with a water brush.


I punched the 3 hearts out of some scrap painted papers, added some accents with a white gel pen, and again outlined them with a Stabilo ALL pencil.


The final touches were adding the crown charm with a long fastener brad, wrapping each of the 3 small canvases with a 1/2 width of black/white polka dot washi tape, and adding some shading to the edge of all the canvases with a tiny bit of turquoise (phthalo) paint, applied with Ranger's cut 'n' dry foam.

The timing of this canvas was perfect for Valentine's Day, and my hubby Jack was really happy to receive it!  Hope you enjoyed it.  Be sure to go over to Hels' blog HERE to check out her canvas!  I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure it's gorgeous!  She seems to be incapable of producing anything that isn't gorgeous!  :)

See you soon!

~ ellen.


11 comments:

Patricia Howarth said...

Morning Ellen, WOW, this canvas challenge is fantastic, I love the colours you decided on and the stamping is beautiful. You are such an inspiration.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Helen said...

Tis gorgeous, Ellen!! Love the long thin canvas. Great elements and a lovely Valentine gift for anyone.

Cornish Emma said...

Morning Ellen, ive popped over from Hels, wow i luv your canvas the colours really sing and remind me of summer days, as always different from Hels but love them both. Emma

Kaz Brown said...

this is lurvely!! love the colours, the sentiment is fab, never heard it before. Also love the washi tape borders. I hope to get time to try your recipe out!
(hand made washi tape??) Happy Valentines Day!!

Hels Sheridan said...

i wish mine did look like this lol the only similarity i can see is the colour :O)) Fabby challenge again hun .. bet Jack loves this lots xx

SaraJ said...

Another beautiful creation Ellen...love the colors and all the detail...always fun to see your recipes! Happy Valentines Day!

inkypinkycraft said...

Absolutely fab!! Yummy colours , love it!trace x

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Hi Ellen, your canvas is just as gorgeous as Hels. I love the vibrant colours & the mini canvases look fab with the washi tape around them - that was a great idea.

Anita Houston said...

So crazy how we had the same thing thousands of miles away!!! I wish I could find a long canvas like this...love the shape! Love your colors!!! Fab design!!! What a work of art!

Juls said...

fab!! the colours are amazing! Hugs Juls

Nan G said...

Great piece! Your colors are amazing and all the little touches...fab.