Monday, February 11, 2013

Hels 'N' Els Recipe Challenge - A Speed Tag

Hello!

Hels and I have been up to our antics again with another recipe challenge, but this time we were a little short on time so we decided to put a time limit on our efforts.  30 minutes!  I also entered this tag in to the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge this week, which is to do something messy! I think my background qualifies!

Here's our recipe of ingredients:

- #10 manila tag
- painted background
- collage
- stamping with paint
- sentiment of choice

Ready... set... go!  I started with my painted background, which I did using 3 colors of Ranger's paint dabbers: wild plum, stream and willow.


I added some accents using my craft scraper, black paint dabber and white gesso, giving both horizontal and vertical accents.  I stamped my hand-carved circle swirl stamp with stream paint in several places...


And then my hand-carved leaf in willow paint as well, highlighting each with a white gel pen.


Since I was on a time limit I sketched out a quick, simple house on book text, cut it out and colored it in with Faber-Castel aquarelle watercolor pencils and a water brush for blending.


And, finally, a Dylusions sentiment... one of my favorites... such a nice thought to believe in the absurd.


Hope you liked our speed-tag!  I must admit we gave ourselves a few extra minutes to finish up, but just a few! It's fun to work quickly - no time to over-think each move (and I'm an over-thinker from wayyyy back... working on that...)  Be sure to pop over to Hels' blog and see her tag - once again... same recipe, totally different results!  And gorgeous as always!

We'll be back in a few days with another Recipe Challenge!  We started it a couple weeks ago and then I got sick.... so it took a while to finish it up.  It's perfectly timed for Valentine's Day!

See you soon! Thanks for stopping by.

~ ellen.

22 comments:

Dots Dabbles said...

Both totally gorgeous and both totally different!
Dot x

inkypinkycraft said...

Full of vibrant colours! Trace x
Great make in such a short time too!

Curly Kent said...

They are both gorgeous tags.
I am amazed at what you can do in thirty minutes.
Regards
Shirley

Patricia Howarth said...

Really good tag, Ellen, it would have taken me more than 30 minutes to even think of what to do, I don't know how you all come up with these fantastic ideas. Great colour combination and love your hand drawn house.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Helen said...

Wow, this is so different from Hels! What great fun you both had with this one. Love your colours today!!

Hels Sheridan said...

ROFL you are so kind not to mention the fact that I yakked the afternoon and our crafty time away lol LOVE your tag, that Wild Plum is rocking! Off to hav a proper catch up on your posts now. been too long!! *then I am off to erm... start our other challenge lmao* Thanks for another cool challenge x

Stamping in Pink said...

Hi Ellen, what a gorgeous tag! I love the pops of colour. The highlighting you've done with the white pen/pencil is brilliant! Will have to try to be brave at some point and try something like this! Thanks for the inspiration hugs Karen

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely piece Ellen, the colours are so eye catching. Cannot believe it only took you 30 minutes. I love the house as the focal point. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Great to see you joining us. Tracy x

Kaz Brown said...

this is gorgeous, I love the funky colours, and the quote is fab!!

betjunroe said...

Love the bright colors Ellen--makes me think of Spring (trying to rush it I guess)! I can see you with a new career--designing stamps! Bette

Tracey said...

LOVE this bright and fun tag!! It would take me all day to make it LOL! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Sams Home Cooked Designs said...

Hi there came to you through Hels - love this tag. I now have these stamps haven't played with them yet Love what you have done with them. Sam

Maura said...

Vibrant, happy colors...they get me thinking....Spring!

Helen said...

What a great tag. I'd still be thinking about it after 30 mins, trying to decide what to do! I'm off to visit Hels' blog now to see her creation.

Nan G said...

Wow! Great colors. Love your house and those hand carved stamps!! Pretty darn cool, Els!

Candy C said...

Ellen...your 30 minute tag is awesome! I love it! I love that your played with paints for the background! They are very vivid and cool! Love your sketched house, too. And your sentiment...love it! I may try to find 30 minutes tomorrow to play and make a messy tag, too! It sounds like a whole lotta fun! Thanks for sharing your tag with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show, too! It's inspiring and I so love how you can rock this style! <3 Candy

Rosie said...

This tag is adorable, love the colors and the images

Kay Wallace said...

I love that each artist's interpretation of the same "recipe" is so very different, yet both are inspiring tags! This one is just so full of vibrant color and whimsy! Also--love that you used Dyan's quote! ;-)

SaraJ said...

I love this...the colors are distributed so perfectly. For a messy tag, it's pretty dang together!!

Anita Houston said...

Love the idea of a speed tag! Your background is uber fantastic! Love the swirls and cubes and lines and geometrics! The house is fab here! Awesome color!

Gillian .... said...

How cool ... love the background and the design. xx

Trish Latimer said...

Gorgeous book page house...the colours of the whole thing are fab!! x