Sunday, February 3, 2013

New Dylusions - Day 6 - One (Wo)man's Trash...

Hello!

Before we get to today's tag.... let me just say... I live in Baltimore, and as most of you are aware, the BALTIMORE RAVENS are playing in the SUPER BOWL today! Sooooo.... GO RAVENS!!!

Here we are already up to Day 6 of my New Dylusions marathon!  Today's tag takes a slightly different approach, one I love to use from time to time.  Here's the back-story:  A couple weeks ago, I had a group of my closest arty friends over for a long play day in my studio.  We spent the majority of the day playing with Gelli Arts printing plates, printing with and on everything that wasn't nailed down.  One of my friends, Patti Parrish (see her blog, Inky Obsessions, HERE), rolls the excess paint off her brayer after every layer of gelli printing.  As you can imagine, this resulted in a stack of newsprint with paint rolled onto it in all sorts of interesting layers and combinations and patterns.  At the end of the day, she was going to throw them away!

Oh.... no, no, no... can't have that! So I took them off her hands (and out of the trash bin) and glued them down to some #10 manila tags....

Today's tag is the result of one of her newsprint brayer clean-ups...


The background is *nothing* but newsprint clean-up. Isn't it cool? I love the contrast between the bright reds and oranges and the bright greens and blues.  Couldn't have planned it that way if I wanted to.


I did some tissue-stamping with my hand-carved "eye" stamp, and glued them down one side with Ranger's Glue 'n' Seal.  I went over the black areas with my favorite white gelly roll pen to help emphasize the contrast with the background.


The featured character in today's tag is from the Dylusions Monster Mash set, full of wonderfully monstrous new friends.  I stamped him on white card stock and colored him in with the new dirty martini ink and a water brush.  I like to blend the colors with the water in the brush to get a gradation of color.  You can see this more on the lips and tongue, where I used the new funky fuchsia ink.  Watered down, it becomes a much softer pink.


And, of course, no Dylusions tag would be complete without one of Dyan's wonderful sentiments... just gotta love them!  And this one is no exception.  A quick dash-ed border with a black paint pen, outlined with white gelly roll pen, and this tag is done!


With an instant background from one wo(man)'s trash... this tag became a quick treasure!  Hope you liked it!  I'll have another trash-to-treasure style tag tomorrow.  I'll provide links to all the days with tomorrow's post as well.

And just so you know... I've done some more playing today... we may have to extend this to Day 8!  But no more tags... I've come up with another way to use Dylusions... stay tuned!

See you tomorrow... and remember... GO RAVENS!!!

~ ellen.

9 comments:

Red Kitty said...

Brilliant. Loving the monsters stamps. X

Helen said...

Love the monster! How could your friend be going to throw out those backgrounds, lol!

Kaz said...

so cool love that chap, fabulous Ellen!!

kazx

betjunroe said...

This creature reminds me of some pet I used to have--or maybe it was a troll doll. Gotta love Dyan's funny sayings. Thanks for the inspiration and GO RAVENS!

Vickster said...

I'm enjoying all your play with Dylusions...your spray play! Thanks for sharing! :)

Anita Houston said...

Yes...you gotta save those base layers...makes fab art! Kudos to you...love this background! He is too cute as well!

Kathi said...

Great background! Upcycling at its very best!

Your tag is adorable. That monster is so cute and the sentiment is perfection.

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Such a fun tag! Love the monster & the row of eyes. Thank goodness you rescued the newsprint.

Juls said...

BRILLIANT!!! Hugs Juls