Thursday, March 28, 2013

Upcycled Box Collage Journals... and Exciting News!

Hello!

How is everyone!? Sorry it has been a while since my last post. We've been super busy getting our house ready for market.  Realtor is coming tomorrow to take pictures and it will be listed on Saturday!  Fingers crossed it will sell quickly so we can find a new house, move, and I can set up my *new* studio as fast as possible!

I got THE most exciting news this week!  I've been accepted to Ranger U!!! It has been a long-term dream of mine to be able to attend this amazing event, and I couldn't be more thrilled! It's still a little surreal to me that I've been selected from so many talented applicants.  I promise I won't go on and on about "how many sleeps" til Ranger U (pinky swear!).

Now, on to today's project.  I recently had the idea to make my own journals.  So I cut up some cardboard boxes and just went for it!


I started by cutting up a cardboard box, using the flaps from top and bottom as a front and back cover.  Then I started layering different collage elements over the cardboard, using my trusty multi-medium (matte) as adhesive.  I started with a base pattern and then layered some vintage dictionary paper over that.


I outlined the dictionary paper and any other layered collage elements with the Stabilo ALL pencil and blended with a water brush for shading.  And then added a quote in the same way - multi medium and Stabilo pencil.


Then I pulled out my CINCH binding tool, selected the holes I wanted to punch, and added a binding ring and some Canson mixed media paper for the journal pages, and VOILA! Instant journal!    The journal above is 6" tall by about 3" wide.


Here are a few other journals I made... some are not bound yet, but you get the idea....





I wasn't worried about the sizes - but rather used the box sizes as my guide.  Two flaps of the same size = front and back cover for a journal.  Other two flaps = another journal, different size.  Before I knew it I had quite a few journals!

These journals could be used for anything... sketch books, art journals, personal diaries, shopping lists, or anything else you could come up with.  So, with a box, some interesting images, some adhesive, and a CINCH, you can make your own!  Hope you give it a try.

'Til next time... Keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer that our house will sell quickly! I miss my studio! Thanks for stopping by.

~ ellen.


11 comments:

Helen said...

I saw that you'd been accepted to Ranger U - well done, lucky you!
Your journals are fabulous, and from such humble beginnings!!
Have a lovely Easter, and good luck with the house sale/move.

Martha Richardson said...

I'm so happy for you...RANGER U..go Ellen ;)

Carol Gibson said...

Congratulations! Great journals
thank you for the inspiration.

thekathrynwheel said...

WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP for you!! About time too! You will have a blast! I'm so pleased for you :-))))

Hels Sheridan said...

Yipppppeeeeeeee... am SO chuffed for you, you know that anyways but I am doing an extra squeal cos it is the best news! I just wish I could come back and pick you up afterwards like you picked me up... imagine a night in Applebee's quaffing cocktails with a delinquent Leopard :O) Loving the new journals, the cottage one is gorgeous... you more than welcome to come and play in my Room of Stash if you missing your studio ;o) Miss you hunny x

Nan G said...

Congrats on Ranger U!! Love love love the journals! They rock!

Anita Houston said...

I'm CHUFFED too ;0)!!! Now it's a for sure sistahood thang...not that it wasn't before though actually...lol! You are wish a great group too...lots of good people! So happy for you Ellen!
These journal covers are too cool! Love the designs...very free!

betjunroe said...

Cool journal covers Ellen! Wishing you speedy success on selling your house and finding a new one! Bette

Helen said...

Great journal covers, so inspiring! Good luck with selling your house and finding a new one too.

Kay Wallace said...

Heartfelt congratulations to you on RANGER U, Ellen! Don't be so humble, they are lucky to have YOU at their U! Love your journals! I have yet to make my first one, but you may just have inspired me!

Karen said...

Great journals Ellen!
Thrilled to read you ar going to Ranger U: Me too!!!
Looking forward to meeting you: Only 2 short weeks away!!!