Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ranger U - Day 2

Hello!

I'm back to share some more of my Ranger U experience.  I've actually made it home safe and (somewhat) sound.  Here's a recap from Day 2...

We started the morning with Claudine Hellmuth and her Studio line.


We got to work with her studio paints, mediums, gessos, and stencils.  We worked through several technique tags, doing transfers using gesso, multi-medium, paint, and even sticky back canvas.  We also did some collage, straight stenciling, resists, color blending and more!  Here's a shot of me and Claudine.  I hate having my picture taken at the best of times, but standing next to the tiny and gorgeous Claudine?  Well... anyway...


Then it was time for Ranger's famous Square Pizza Day!  I must admit I had my doubts... I mean how special could it be... pizza is pizza right?  OMG... I was wrong to doubt!  It was *DELISH* ! My fav was the buffalo chicken pizza... but the sausage and peppers was to die for, too!


After lunch we got more "Tim time" to learn about the Adirondack line, which included dye inks, paint dabbers and alcohol inks.  The pace was starting to pick up because I didn't manage to get any pix of this session.

And after that, we finished the day with the awesome Dyan Reaveley!  As you know I've been lucky enough to take several classes with Dyan, and honored to be part of her Design Team.  That said... any time with Dyan is FABulous, and she didn't disappoint.


We learned about her ink sprays and how they are formulated, how they are different from Color Wash, and then did a bunch of technique tags, building up the layers with each successive tag.  I thought this was great because it gave us a chance to repeat techniques multiple times, building on a layer each time.  Good teaching.

Time for a story... as you've gathered, I was lucky (so I thought, LOL) to be seated next to Jim (the Gentleman Crafter) Hankins. Jim and I met at CHA and when we discovered we were both going to Ranger U, I was happy to know someone and have a friend going in.  On day 1, we were sitting dutifully learning and listening when I felt a light *misting* of water hit me... mmmm hmmmmmm gonna be interesting... so I spritzed back... this turned into a regular occurrence... but it's water, so no harm, no foul.  HOWEVER.... during our time with Dyan, I felt a full-on spray on my arm... didn't think anything of it... but when I looked down... nope, wasn't water at all... can you imagine what a full-on spray of FUNKY FUSCHIA ink spray looks like!?  I was a cross between brusied/beaten and a burn victim!  Can't believe we didn't take pix...  It's all faded away now, but for half of Ranger U I was sporting some serious color!  LOL!

Here's our group inky hands shot after Dyan's lessons....



Anyway... we ended our day with Dyan, learned how she draws the fabric patterns in her new couture stamps - tricky, but once you get the idea it goes pretty quickly!


Another long day of learning!  A big group of us went out for Chinese food and then went back to the hotel to crash and rest-up for Day 3!  Stay tuned... I'll be back tomorrow with more... but now it's back to reality... heading back to the day job today.  I'm sure there will be a mountain of paperwork and loads of emails to catch up on.  But I wouldn't have spent those 3 days anywhere else!

Thanks for stopping by!

~ ellen.



8 comments:

Helen said...

those fingers look pretty clean to me, or maybe I am just super messy when I use my Dylusions...!!! Love the vision I have of you covered in pink ink....

Lynn Hardy said...

It sounds like you had a great time and I'm sure Jim was loads of fun to sit next to!

Peg Robinson said...

OMGoodness nuttin' but fun. Wish I had been there.

Annette Green said...

So happy to have been able to share this experience with you, Ellen. And hopefully there will be more chances in the future to create together again. You'll notice on my blog that I didn't post the photo of me and Claudine. Same reason. I took a look at the two of us side by side and said, "Skip." She's too darn pretty and way thinner. LOL! I wish I had taken a photo of your arm. That was so bad.

Marjie Kemper said...

Another great wrap-up, Ellen. Loved reading it and you know damn well why we didn't take a pic... it was hideous! The only thing that didn't take the sprays well. LOL! Miss you.

Kay Wallace said...

I am absolutely lovin' your recaps, Ellen! Such fun, but such intense learning at the same time. And, by the way, I would have been more freaked out having my picture taken with Dyan than with Claudine! I am such a huge Dy fan! Oh, yes, I love that apron!!

sara j said...

It is SO fun to read about this....sigh. I can only imagine. Thanks so much for sharing. Your brain must just go into overdrive! Anxiously awaiting Day 3's recap. No pressure. That day job thing sure gets in the way doesn't it?

Anita Houston said...

Yay you!!! Awesome recap! Man how I miss that place!