Thursday, May 9, 2013

Distress Paint Play

Hello!

Ever since I got back from Ranger U I've been dying to get some studio time and play with my new distress paints!  I found some time and went for it!  First up, a page in my art journal... just straight-up joyful distress paint drippage and a celebration of time to be creative.


I squeezed out a puddle of all these distress paints across the top of the page and then sprayed with water... let the drippage commence!


 I used a Sharpie paint pen to spell out "creative release" across the top of the page, and outlined with a white gelly roll pen.


And then I used my Dylusions journaling/stamping block to trace the curvy lines down the rest of the page, and journaled all about how great it felt to get messy and creative after months of packing and planning.


Then I started playing with the paints to create some tag backgrounds.  This first group of tags is straight distress paint on the craft sheet, spritzed with water, and tag swiped through.





Then I wondered if I could combine distress paints with Dylusions ink sprays... oh, yeah... it works!

funky fuschia and white distress paint
funky fuschia, lemon zest and white distress paint

2nd swipe through

3rd swipe through
And then... I wondered if the Dylusions white linen spray would "set" over the distress paints.  It's semi-opaque, so I thought it might work... and it did!


I went a little further with one of the tags, doing some stamping with my hand-carved stamps, Dylusions stamps, and some brayering - all with distress paint.




I had a blast playing with the distress paints and can't wait to do more! Hope you have a chance to get painty soon!

~ ellen.


7 comments:

Helen said...

Your playing has certainly inspired me, especially to use Dylusions with Ink et. Your journal page is so colourful and the tags are all so different - thank you.

Helen said...

Fabulous journal page, Ellen. I don't have any distress paints (yet...?!!) but they look great - the tags are amazing too.

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Love them all!! The drippage looks fantastic, made for a very cool page.

Martha Richardson said...

I have these distress paints ready to play with...I think you've given me the kick start I needed!

Anita Houston said...

So glad you had some time to play with you new stuff in your new studio!!!

Kay Wallace said...

Just amazing results, Ellen! Love that drippage, but, what I *really* love are those tags. The procedure is the same as the Distress Inks, but the result is just so much stronger! Love them all!

Marjie Kemper said...

How cool! Love the way you did your journal pages, and the tags are total eye candy.