Thursday, May 2, 2013

Ranger U - Day 3

Good morning!

Sorry it's taken me a couple days to get back to this - getting back to "real" life has certainly kept me busy!

Day 3 was ALL about distress products! So we had ALL day with Tim.  We started with distress inks, then distress stains, distress embossing powders, distress paints and distress markers.  Here's just a small sample of some tags we made.  Sorry it's blurry... crappy cell phone pic.  (Must get new cell phone... I'm due for an upgrade, and the camera feature alone *needs* an upgrade.)


When we got to the distress embossing powders, Tim was telling us that the best thing about the disress embossing INK is that it smells like cinnamon!  So, of course, everybody picked up their ink pads, opened them up and smelled them!  Yep! Cinnamon! Who knew?  Here's a pic Marjie took of me and Jim... sniff, sniff!


Now I must confess, I was *most* excited about working with the distress paints because I held off on buying them *just in case* I got in to Ranger U.  So this was my first time working with them... I can honestly tell you... they live up to all the hype!  They are completely different than the paint dabber paints!  The applicators really do work - paint flows out easily, blends beautifully, reacts with water, and is permanent when dry. Everything that you've been hearing is absolutely true!  We were lucky enough to be given several of the colors and I can't wait to play with them! If you're holding out on buying them... just give up and get them already... you'll love them!

This pic is actually from Day 2... Jim Hankins wore a white shirt and had everyone sign and do art on it as a souvenir... brilliant! Here's Marjie doing some stenciling...


And here's the finished product... gorgeous right?  That's Tim Holtz' handprint in the middle - how awesome!


Here's the silly class shot.  Love the faces some people made... it pretty much sums up how you feel at the end of Ranger U - a little slap-happy! The experience is totally amazing, but completely exhausting! 80 techniques in 3 days.  (not complaining!)


After we wrapped up, a group of us went over to Applebee's for dinner and drinks... here's a couple shots from dinner...

Jim and Marjie... so cute...

Annette Green (FL) and Karen McInnes (Australia)

Karen from Australia brought boxes of Tim Tams for everyone, and they were delish, but she also brought Caramello Koala Bears... OMG... to DIE for... yumm-o!! Thanks Karen! 

Well, folks, that's a wrap! I can't tell you enough how wonderful the experience was.  It lived up to all my expectations, and the people at Ranger were ALL so friendly, generous, helpful, dedicated, and you just get the feeling that everyone you met was truly happy to be working there.  What a gift! And most of them have been working there for MANY, MANY years.  And still happy.  A rare and beautiful thing to see - hats off to everyone at Ranger and a big thanks for a wonderful weekend!  I'll never forget it!

Best to everyone... sad to say that my artful posts will be few and far between.  I'm now going to be living in the land of packing.  Our settlement for our new house is the first week of June... so I've got one month to pack up my life! Yikes!

Til next time...

~ ellen.

PS - I will try to take some better pix of the technique tags from Ranger U.  It's really hard to take pix while you're there - you're just too darn busy trying to keep up! :)  

7 comments:

Kaz said...

Your adventure looked fabulous!! Good luck with the packing xxx

Kaz x

Annette Green said...

Great re-cap Ellen. It's hard coming back from a trip like that and getting back into the routine. I'm still in a happy fog. Finally might get a chance to create something today. Hope you do too!

Yvonne said...

SO happy you had a great adventure at Ranger! It is definitely a magical place! I felt like I was in Willie wonka's land of artsiness while there! Hope all the packing goes and moving goes super smooth. Hugs and thanks for sharing your adventures!!!

Helen said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time Ellen. And yes, Tim Tams and Caramelo Koalas are definately yummy!

Kay Wallace said...

A nice wrap-up to 3 days of what I am sure was intense learning, Ellen! But, not without some play time, of course! I so appreciate this opportunity to be a "sideline" participant at Ranger U! So happy that you could go!

Anita Houston said...

YAY you...that's all I keep saying!!! So happy!

Marjie Kemper said...

Fab wrap-up! Love all these great pics. What a wonderful trip ... so glad we shared it together.