Monday, July 22, 2013

Postcard Master Board

Hello!

The angels are singing! I made ART in my new studio... finally!  I've been wanting to get back to making post cards (for Jane Davies' Postcard Project), and this weekend I sat in my studio and just *created*.  It felt soooo good!  I didn't think (too much) about it, I just grabbed the supplies in front of me and went for it.

I started with an 8.5" x 11" sheet of white card stock and started layering distress stains with a brayer, and added Wendy Vecchi's typewriter text background stamp, some of my hand-carved stamps with distress inks, and then used a Stampin' Up background stamp that I've had for *ages*.


Then I added some collage elements, using torn pieces of a patterned paper napkin along with some book text.

I love the random, abstract results but wanted to add more, so....


I toned down the black with some more white, also added some citrus green and rust (Ranger paint dabbers) brayered over the top.  Here's a few close ups.



Added some more white accents with some texture scratched in with the end of my paint brush, some hand-carved stamping, and some random red circles, outlined with thinned down black paint and a white gel pen.  Then did some black paint splatter over the whole piece.

Then cut the 8.5" x 11" piece down into 4 post cards, each 4.25" x 5.5".   I like the way the smaller pieces of the whole each have their own personality.





Supplies used:

-1 sheet Neenah Solar White card stock 8.5" x 11"
-Ranger 2" mini brayer
-Distress Stains: crushed olive, rusty hinge, black soot
-Studio 490 background stamp - typewriter text
-Distress Inks: tea dye, crushed olive, frayed burlap, black soot
-Stampin' Up background stamp:  Sanded
-Book text, paper napkin
-Ranger Glue N Seal (matte)
-Ranger Adirondack paint dabbers: terra cotta, citrus, pitch black, snow cap, watermelon
-Fude Ball 1.5 black pen
-White gelly roll pen

I'm loving this exploration into the abstract.  More to come this week!

~ ellen.



4 comments:

Lori said...

Fabulous!

Carol Q said...

love it!

whyducks said...

That is gorgeous!

Kay Wallace said...

This piece is just so full of energy, Ellen! I keep going back and finding something new! Well constructed!