Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I Challenge Thee... Inspired by Class with Finnabair

Hi everyone,

Hels and I had a LONG skype session on Sunday (can you say SIX hours?).  Guess it's been too long.  We had a wonderful day talking, eating, making art together... all from thousands of miles away.  What did we ever do before Skype?  :)

We came up with an "I Challenge Thee" project which was almost entirely inspired by my recent class with Finnabair (aka Anna Dabrowska) at The Queens Ink.  Here's our list of supplies:

* large rectangular canvas - I used 8 x 10, I think Hels used 9 x 12
* lots of dimensional embellishments, including "Mechanicals" from Finn's Prima line
* Wendy Vecchi white embossing paste
* stencil(s) of choice
* paint of choice
* Stabilo ALL pencil
* Finn's 9th wave paper collection (7 Dots Studio) - this was a bad choice, as it gets painted over and you can't even tell it's there in the end, but it does add some texture, so....

Because this project was completely inspired by Finn's class, I can't get into details about how I went about it.  Just trust me when I say, if you ever get a chance to take a class with her, DO IT. She has a different approach to things which is so freeing... you'll love it!  Here is my finished canvas.


Here are some close ups of the embellishments, so gorgeous!





I took this project into the office to show it to a coworker, who just happened to have an extra frame... and it was a perfect fit!  Love it when that happens!


And here are some pix of my journal project from Finn's class.  We did the journal covers and a few page spreads in class, which lasted ALL day.

Front and back covers.



Journal page from class, with a close up.



I did this page in my journal last weekend, trying to use some of the techniques we learned in class.



Hope you enjoyed the project.  Be sure to pop over to Hels' blog to check out her creation!  I haven't seen the finished result but it was looking *amazing* - check it out!

I'll be back soon with some more abstract creations...

~ ellen.

15 comments:

Helen said...

That was a Skype session and a half for sure but what a fabulous outcome! I love Anna's work... and your version is stunning.

Helen said...

Your canvas is brilliant!!! and I just love your journal covers. I'll pop over and have a look at what Hel's created now - thanks for sharing!!!

Candy C said...

Ellen...oh my gosh!!! Your work is absolutely gorgeous! I so love each of them! Your canvases are amazing and the journal pages.....WOW! I am so happy for you that you got to take these classes and sit next to Wendy! What fun all the way around. I am like Hels...peeled paint with envy! Haha hugs, Candy

Lori said...

I so want to take a class with Anna, I absolutely love her style. Your projects are absolutely fabulous! Stunning!

Carol Q said...

what a fab way to craft and what a wonderful creation!

Nan G said...

Wow! Amazing creation! Love the texture and all the embellies. I'm trying to figure what you colored it with? Paint then some kind of paste, inka gold perhaps.

Tincan Crafter said...

This is unbelievable beautiful. I believe I might have checked out Finnabair's work at some stage before because the name sounds so familiar. After seeing this amazing piece of work though - I am definitely going to have to go and find her blog.

Patricia Howarth said...

Morning Ellen, I have just popped over from Hels' Blog, and WOW !! oh WOW !! these are stunning projects. I can definitely see the 'Finnabair' inspiration here, the colours and compilation are fabulous.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Kay Wallace said...

This just totally blows me away, Ellen! I can almost *feel* the weight of your canvas, and the texture is, well, almost tangible! A friend also attended Finn's class in NYC and has been raving about it, too! Well done!!

Anita Houston said...

Gorgeous Ellen!!! Just stunning color and so many fabulous elements used!

Michelle Webb said...

Wow Ellen! A-Ma-Zing! Love this gorgeous work of art, fab texture and all your other pages too are fab. Thank you for sharing and being..well...bloody brilliant!
Michelle xx

Kyla said...

Fabulous colours and textures-love it!

Kyla

Carol McCready said...

Love all that texture.

Marjie Kemper said...

So gorgeous! I took those classes last month when she was in NY. What a dream! Hopefully someday we will be in class together again.

finnabair said...

What can I say - wonderful!!!
Thank you so much for sharing your creativity!