Monday, October 14, 2013

Brayered Background Abstract

Hello!

I'm back from my little hiatus from blogland.  After our many months of moving, I needed a little blog break, and have been putting my creative energies into setting up and decorating our new home.  It's come a long way, and still has lots of little spaces left to fill, but we are *SO* happy to be here, and just love it!

I haven't been completely idle in my art, and in fact have lots to show you - but today we'll start with another of my abstract pieces.  I'm really loving this new style of art (for me).... here we go...

First up is one of my new hand carved stamps, stamped all over the background of some white card stock.  I used Wendy Vecchi's new archival ink in that awesome new gray color... watering can.


Next I chose a variety of Golden's fluid acrylic paints, and used my 3" brayer to create a multicolored background.  These paints are pretty transparent, so the texture of the hand card stamp background still shows through.


Then I painted a whole variety of red circles, again using Golden fluid acrylic paint, and then outlined them with a black sharpie paint pen.


Here are a few close ups...



... and then I just went crazy with found stamps (wooden thread spools, hand cut foam stamps), a white paint pen, and my black detail pen.... Voila!




Hope you like - I'll be back soon with more abstracts to share...

~ ellen.

9 comments:

whyducks said...

Great work and fab colours and a brilliant hand carved stamp. Very clever how you have carved into it!

donna walsh said...

I love this El...... Beautiful....

Helen said...

I should have known you'd just have been busy creating - this is fabulous - I love the background on it's own... and then WOW you went crazy - in a great way! Good to see you back.

Patti Parrish said...

Yumaliscious as usual! Love it. You make it look so easy!

thekathrynwheel said...

So cool Ellen! And I'm so happy you love your new home :-)

Kyla said...

What a fabulous background, stamp and end product! love the mix of colours.
Kyla

Kay Wallace said...

So nice to have you back, Ellen, but I do know that sometimes blogging has to take a back seat to life! You *are* excused! But, here you are back with a bang! Love watching the building of the layers. I am sure you had fun creating it, too!

Nan G said...

Awesome hand carved stamp! Loved the background it made and then the layering....wow! Really cool piece!

Anita Houston said...

You totally transformed this! I never would have guessed the process and layers...fabulous!