Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I Challenge Thee... Re-visited!

Hello!

My apologies for late posting!  I was supposed to post this at midnight but I completely forgot!  But when you see the reason I've been distracted I think you'll understand!  And maybe even approve! :)

But first... Hels and I had another of our famous skype sessions last weekend, and we decided to re-visit a recipe we did about a year ago!  Here's our recipe:

* canvas 12 x 12
* stencils
* embossing paste (Wendy Vecchi)
* scraped paint technique
* Stabilo ALL pencil (a.k.a. the "magic" pencil)
* Words - not stamped
* tissue paper collage
* ink spray
* hand drawn border
* embellishments of choice

I started with Golden fluid acrylic paints and scraped them onto my canvas - blue tones at the top and green tones at the bottom, and then sprayed them with water to get them to blend and bleed and drip.


Then I added some tissue and deli paper collage elements, using some of my hand carved stamps, s stamp from Anna Dabrowska (Finnabair) as well as some brayer clean ups and gelli print papers.  I outlined each collage element with the Stabilo ALL pencil and blended with a Ranger detail water brush.


Up next was some ink spraying.  I used a large prima circles stencil and Dylusions ink spray to randomly spray some circle patterns across the canvas, filling in some empty spaces, and overlapping with the collage to incorporate the layers.



Then I mixed some of Wendy Vecchi's white embossing paste with some tarnished bronze distress paint to get bronze embossing paste.  I scraped that mixture through a Prima dots stencil for this great dimensional look.


If you know me, then you know I love that "pop of red" in my art... so I put some red paint on my craft sheet, added some water, and then spritzed it onto my canvas with an old toothbrush.   I love the random spattered look.  I also added some red paint with my scraper in several areas.

My embellishment of choice was to add some Tim Holtz numbers rub-ons.  I love numbers, so I just added some in several places, and in different orientations.


Then it was time for my words... but no stamping... I pulled out my collection of chipboard letters and painted my selected words white so they would stand out on the canvas.   The words I chose represent my *artistic* voice.  I've been working hard on finding my own artistic voice, and it's definitely getting louder with time, which makes me happy!

The final touch was to add my hand drawn border.  I used a Viva pearl pen (black) to scribble two borders around the edges, waited for them to dry, and then filled in the gap with a Sharpie white paint pen.

I hope you liked our recipe re-do... we always have so much fun with our skypey art sessions!  Much more fun to craft with a friend!

NOW... the reason for my distraction and late posting.... my husband Jack went to work on Monday morning, as usual, but when he was outside he heard something crying (very loudly and very persistently!) from across the parking lot... after investigating... this is what he found... in a trash bag... in a dumpster (skip for my UK friends)....


Could there be anything cuter or more precious??? I think not!  We've named him THOR... which just makes me giggle!  He's a real cutie and is settling in very nicely.... here's a short video of his eating adventures - he's rather ravenous!  Full-face in the bowl approach - like a pie eating contest! LOL!  Enjoy!

video

Be sure to check out Hels' recipe HERE!  It's gorgeous as always!  Sorry I was late!

Hope all my US friends have a happy and safe Thanksgiving Holiday tomorrow!  I'm picking up our fresh turkey this morning!

~ ellen.

8 comments:

Shazza said...

gorgeous canvas Ellen, so bright and colourful. As for kitty.....awwww!
x

Hels Sheridan said...

awww, instant heartmelt or what!!! He is a little darling and such a perfect addition to your family... LOVE your finished canvas too hun xx

Nan G said...

Love the canvas! Such a cutie is Thos! Wish the video worked. Happy Thanksgiving.

Helen said...

People can be so cruel, but glad little Thor has a happy new beginning. Love how your canvas turned out - very vibrant!

Patricia Howarth said...

Morning Ellen, Happy Thanksgiving.
I love your creation, it is absolutely gorgeous.
Thor is absolutely stunning, those eyes 'melted' me, loved watching the video, he is a hungry kitty haha. So glad he has found you and your family, and is now a very happy kitty.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Joanne said...

I love the modern style and vibrant colours to your canvas and I adore your little kitty Thor. What a fabulous name. Please keep us informed of his life.
xx

Miranda said...

wonderful piece of art and Thor is just too cute...really don't understand people would put this cutie in a thrashbag horrible people..

Patti Parrish said...

LOVE this canvas! What a great eye you have my friend! Miss you!