Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fresco Palette Knife Painting

Hello!

This past weekend I had some very important projects to work on... for two of my nieces.  One just had a birthday so I had to make a card for her, and the other has been well and truly bitten by the arts & crafts bug, and we have just started an art post-card swap via mail.  

I've been playing around with applying paint for backgrounds using a palette knife and I decided to take it a step further.  Now.... this is my first attempt at painting a beach scene in *any* way, so please be kind... it's not a masterpiece.

I chose some Fresco Finish paints in beachy colors... for the sand I chose cheesecake with a little bit of cinnamon mixed in.  For the ocean I chose beach hut and south pacific, and for the sky I chose snowflake and (wait for it!) sky blue.  

I started with the sky (which got cut out of the finished cards) and worked my way down to the ocean, and then the beach, applying the paint ONLY with a palette knife.  Once I was happy with that I decided to add some beach grasses to each side, using the edge of the palette knife.  When it was done I cut it down the middle to post card size (4" x 6").... outlined the edges with a black paint pen, and added some greetings that I printed out and cut out each word.... 

And here are the results.... be kind.... Here's the first one... the post card...


And here's the birthday card....


I *attempted* to create some wave-like images by adding some snowflake over the blue water, like waves cresting and crashing.  

I'd say the proper fine-artists of the world don't have much to worry about, but I'm pretty happy with them for a first attempt.  Good to try new things!  

For those following along with our little kitten's story... here's a recent pic of our "Thor"... he's now about 3 1/2 months old.... seriously... could he be any cuter???  He's doing really well and learning how far he can push his older brother's limits of patience and self-restraint LOL!  It's a slow process, but they're both learning, and we haven't had any all-out fights yet.  Fingers crossed!


Take care 'til next time.

~ ellen

10 comments:

Vickster said...

I think your palette knife paintings are fantastic! Love the colors. I also like how your grasses are more 'in detail' while the ocean and sand are less focused. Excellent. Thank you for the inspiration to use a palette knife for a different way of creating a scene. Have a wonderful day! :)

Hazel Agnew said...

Love the fresh, abstract approach to the scenes. I've tried palette knife painting but not a land or seascape. In my opinion they work because they are not overworked. The sentiments are fab and stand out just enough. Good to stray out of the comfort zone. Thanks for showing.

Deborah Wainwright said...

Ooh Ellen i don't know what I like best your paintings or your kitten both are lovely. No seriously love what you have created makes me want to be sunning myself somewhere warm xx

viennaville said...

The seascapes are amazing & the words are simple & powerful, lovley work its inspiring.

whyducks said...

Beautiful work, and Thor is a little sweet heart.

PaperArtsy Rubber Stamps said...

Well I'd be overjoyed with those. I'm not a massive scenic fan, but I am when it's done abstract styley, so they're exactly how I'd opt for anything scene-stylish. Lol. Not sure I'm talking sense. Been at the excel for about 4 days not and brain is a bit addled!

In short. ACE!!!

Nan G said...

Just ... fabulous!

Kay Wallace said...

Love this technique, Ellen! Easy to choose your colors for this beach scene just by their names...well, except for Cheesecake, that is! I have paint, I have palette, I have time! I will definitely try this. Thanks for your generosity in sharing the great techniques of late with all of us here! Mwah! KayW

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Your seascapes are gorgeous & Thor is SO cute!

annekescardart said...

Love this painting thanks for showing Anneke.
www.annekescardart.blogspot.com