Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hand Carved Stamps + Mold 'N' Pour

Hello!

Hope everyone had a good weekend - I was playing with my hand carved stamps in my studio on Saturday and had the idea to try them with Mold 'N' Pour.... why hadn't I thought of this before?  I could turn my hand carved stamps into 3-D embellishments!

So I broke out the Mold 'N' Pour and mixed up two balls of molding medium, and went for it!  It's super easy to do.  You just mix equal amounts of the white and grey medium together (kneading it) until it's a consistent shade of light grey - no swirls of either color visible.  Then you press your stamp into the mold, set it on your craft sheet, and wait for it to set up.  Takes about 5-10 minutes, but could be longer for a larger mold.  If you press your fingernail into the mold it shouldn't leave any impression or it's not fully set up yet.



I chose two stamps to test... my hand carved swirly circle and small leaf.


And then I got out my Melt Pot and mixed up a batch of clear UTEE with a little bit of black UTEE mixed in.  (If you want to melt a batch of black, just use a *little bit* of black.  You don't have to use *just* black... little tip I picked up at Ranger U...)  Once my UTEE was all melted it was time to pour it into my new molds!  Here's the results...

Here are five little leaves (makes a cute flower, eh?), with some perfect pearls powder - I used three different shades: sour apple, green patina, and copper.  I was hoping for a brighter result - have to work on my perfect pearls skills...


And here's a partial swirly circle... straight out of the mold.  I intentionally filled only a portion of the mold to see how a ragged edge would look.  I like!  No perfect pearls on this one.


And since my perfect pearls attempt didn't give me that bright color I wanted, I decided to just paint them instead!  Here are 3 circles, trimmed to fit on my collage art piece as soon as they came out of the mold.  You can trim them easily with no cracking if you trim when the UTEE is still warm.  I chose the same shades of paint as I had used in my collage and then brayered some black paint over top to hit the swirly highlights.  I'm not sure I *love* it on this particular piece... but it's pretty cool to see my hand carved design popping off the page!


So if you have some stamps that you think would make cool embellishments... remember Mold 'N' Pour - magical stuff!

See you soon!  I've got more painty/collage pieces to share.... 'til next time...

~ ellen.


8 comments:

Yours Artfully said...

Genius idea Ellen.

Lin x

Hazel Agnew said...

Fabulous idea with fabulous results.

Patti Parrish said...

I do really love these! Love how you hit the high points in the circle with the pops of black. Must try!

Anita Houston said...

I love that you carve your own stamps, and then to make molds of them is too cool! Gorgeous pages!!!!

whyducks said...

Fabulous

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Brilliant idea & that is a gorgeous page.

Betsy Skagen said...

What a fabulous idea! I have to add this to my ever-growing craft to-do list.
-Betsy at PaperCalliope.com

Kay Wallace said...

Sweet leaves, Ellen! Love the outcome of your "partial" image--maybe I like that one even best! You are such an "enabler," my friend! Mwah! KayW