Tuesday, February 25, 2014

'Fresco Chic' Manila File Folder

Hello!

Recently I shared a couple of altered manila file folders I made.  I'm really loving these and have actually taken some to work!  I've gotten so many comments and questions... so I've made a few more.  Today I wanted to share one that's done with all Fresco paints in very muted "shabby-chic" tones, so I'm calling it 'Fresco Chic'!  No step by steps today...  here's the front...


And here's the back....


After gessoing the front and back, I started by brayering several muted tones of fresco finish paints all over the folder, leaving some white spaces.  Next I used two different stencils (Finnabair's "Cubes" - Prima, and this lattice stencil (orange paint) that I can NOT find the name of to save me... and trust me, I've looked *hard*! )


Then I used Ranger's sap green archival ink to stamp my scratchy pod stamp from my Eclectica stamp set EEV002.  I stamped it in repeating patterns in different areas of the folder.  I like that it almost disappears in some areas... after all, it is a BACKground, right?


Added some scripty tissue paper in big sections - I'm learning that bigger work requires bigger collage pieces... at least to my eye...


And then I stamped my striped border from EEV03 with Snowflake paint, and outlined each stripe with a brown watercolor pencil, and traced over with a water brush.


I used a large alphabet stamp set to stamp out the words "CREATE", "INSPIRE" and "DREAM" on white card, adhered to the folder front, and then outlined with very watered down paints just to give a *hint* of color.


Hope you liked the folder - I've got a few more to share over the coming weeks - stay tuned!

I'll be back tomorrow with a little shadow box project. See you then!

~ ellen.

9 comments:

Helen said...

This looks fabulous, Ellen - love the soft colour scheme. Great altered project.

Ursula said...

Fantastic! It must be lovely having some of your art on your work folders.

PaperArtsy Rubber Stamps said...

Ohhhh. Even paying bills could be fun with a folder like this to keep them in!! Fresco chic indeedy! LOVE LOADS!

Hazel Agnew said...

Fabulous idea, fab colours, something else to alter....yeah. Love it. X

sam21ski said...

Totally awesome xxx

massofhair said...

Manilla file folders are the perfect size to add some 'Fresco Chic' (new term alert!) to.

Fabby colours & stencils:-) x

Patti Parrish said...

LOVE! I may be making more of these at camp. Can't wait to get my stamps!

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

I think it's gorgeous.

Wanda H said...

I'm thinking I need to fill my file cabinet with folders like this!!!!!!!!!!!