Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fresco Shadow Box Tutorial

Hello!

I've been having so much fun playing with my new stamps and fresco paints... I can't seem to stop exploring new projects and trying new things.  Today I wanted to share the step-by-step evolution of a shadow box project I did over the weekend.


I started with a 15cm x 15cm wood shadow box from PaperArtsy.


I used my brayer to apply a base coat of snowflake, and then added some areas of cheesecake, zesty zing, and limelight paints, leaving some white spaces.


Then I used my scratchy leaf pod stamp (EEV02) - can you tell this is a recent favorite? I seem to be using it a LOT for backgrounds! I applied both Saffron and Sap Green archival inks to the stamp and repeat stamped it across the entire piece.


I love the dual tones of the stamping.


Then I used JOFY's new stencil and applied little black dress paint with some cut 'n' dry foam. Remember to get some paint on your foam, and then dab it off so your foam isn't over-loaded.  That is when you'll have paint seep underneath the stencil and you'll get messy results.  Dab ON... Dab OFF...



Added just a few white highlights with a Molotow fine tip paint pen, and a few black dots at the top of each flower pod with the black paint pen (this one is by Elmer's).


Decided to add more flower pods to the right side as well....


Used my favorite mini alphabet set to stamp out a simple art quote with jet black archival ink.



Set that aside and got started on my frame.  I coated the entire frame with a coat of snowflake paint, and then added a few very brushy strokes of cheesecake and zesty zing so the frame would coordinate with the insert we just worked on.


Then I chose some stamps for the frame itself... the bold triangle in the corners is a great way to transition with other border stamps.  The striped border is from EEV03 and the bold triangle is from EEV01.


And here's the results of the stamping...



I've had these strips of corrugated cardboard for *ages* and decided to finally use some of them.  I cut them to the width of the frame edges and gave them a coat of snowflake, followed by brushy strokes of cheesecake and zesty zing, with the top part swiped over with little black dress.


I glued the cardboard strips to the edges of the shadow box frame, glued our brayered piece into the center, and.... voila!




Hope you enjoyed... I'll be finding a home for this in my studio... let me know if you give it a try - I'd love to see what you make!   I'm working on a few pieces but the ole' day job is keeping me very busy these days... and today is "say-goodbye-to-the-gray" day!  In other words... hair cut and color after work! Goodbye gray roots!   

Hope you're having a good week so far.  See you soon!

~ ellen.

14 comments:

♥Gemma♥ said...

Wow this is stunning and so love black and white combo with a pop of colour!! amazing piece of art work!!
hugs and xxx
Gemma

Hazel Agnew said...

Zingy and vibrant Ellen. That's a really good tip for the corners. Wow, it was a surprise to be confronted by zebra stripes when I scrolled down. More exciting possibilities. X

Patti Parrish said...

OMG! I love this one. Absolutely brilliant use of the cardboard around the edges. And you know I must have those poppy stamps. wish I'd have seen these before I placed my PaperArtsy order.

Helen said...

I love this - the bright zingy colour and the dramatic contrast of the black - and the corrugated strips are perfect. Hope your hair cut and colour went well!

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow I really lurvvvve this. The bright zingy colours on the background is awesome. Fantastic tip for the corners, and your stamps are lush. Kezzy :-) xxx.

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

I completely love it. The b&w white really highlights the image - which is gorgeous, I love the colours.

Kay Wallace said...

What a wonderful framed piece of art, Ellen! I love when you begin your projects with paint and your brayer! I always know I am in for a treat of both interest and unique detail! This is no exception! Great quote, too!

craftytrog said...

Gorgeous!!! Love how you used the cardboard on the edges, perfect finishing touch!
Alison x

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is fab, Ellen!

Lucy x

Kathi said...

Totally wonderful!

Thanks for the details about how you created it!

Denise Spillane said...

I love this post and the project. Those stencils are cool. I also wanted to let you know that I got the stamps I won today. I love them, I plan to use them on some fabric. I am taking a class from Sue Benner this weekend

Denise Spillane said...

I love this post and the project. Those stencils are cool. I also wanted to let you know that I got the stamps I won today. I love them, I plan to use them on some fabric. I am taking a class from Sue Benner this weekend

Anita Houston said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! The border is so tribal and cool! Love the flowers too! Awesome project!

Wanda H said...

Love this, Ellen!!!