Monday, February 3, 2014

Fresco Stenciled Collage Canvas Tutorial

Hello!

Hope everybody had a great weekend - I spent most of it in my studio, which is *always* a good thing!  I've re-discovered my love of stencils and have lots of things to show you this week.  Today I wanted to share a canvas I did - very muted colors with lots of stenciling and collage with fresco finish acrylic paints... here are the colors I chose.


I started with an 8 x 8 box canvas from PaperArtsy...


And, in my typical fashion, I began brayering on colors working from light to dark, building up layers and depth... first up is a new color (for me).... Stone....


... then Lake Wanaka...


... and Cheesecake...


... and Guacamole...


... and Space Cadet...


... and finally, another hint of Stone to tone it down a bit...


This is such an understated background for me!  I've been on a *brights* kick lately, but this color palette is just so soothing.  Now it's time to add some stenciling.  I chose three different circle stencils, with small, medium, and large (ish) circles.

I started with the smallest circles and Snowflake paint.



Next the medium size circle stencil, with Elephant paint...



... and finally, Tinned Peas paint with the largest circles...



Looking good so far!  I like the different layers of circles of different sizes and colors.   Somehow because they are ALL circles it doesn't look too busy (to my eye....)

Now I wanted to do some collage, so I tore some odd-shaped orb-like circles from dictionary paper and stacked them like stones...



I let the largest circle on the bottom wrap over the edge...


Time for the Glue 'N' Seal to collage them into place...


I got a little carried away and forgot to take pictures of the rest... so I'll just describe it...

Once the circles were collaged in place, I painted each circle with a watery mix of the same colors used in the background and stenciling, blending with one shade darker on the outer edges of each circle.  Then I outlined each circle with watered down black paint.


I wanted to frame in the overall piece, so used one of my hand carved stamps to give a washi-tape stripey black and white border.  I could have (and maybe *should* have!) stopped before doing this....


I was tempted to do some more pen-work, outlining some of the stenciled circles, but decided to just let them be.  Sometimes the hardest thing is knowing when to *stop*!    Hope you enjoyed...

On another note, the big (non-art) event of the weekend is that our little Thor now has complete freedom and run of the house, along with his (much bigger) older brother Joe... here are some pictures of their first (full) day together... sitting just inside the screen door.  They were completely enchanted by all the birds and squirrels in the back yard.



I think they're really going to be friends!  (PHEW! We've been quite the over-protective parents where little Thor is concerned.  But it's working out really well, so I guess we did OK.)


I'll be back later this week with more stenciling projects to share!  Take care til then.

~ ellen.

8 comments:

Helen said...

Love your stencilling... the circles look great in different sizes and colours and so do your stones!! I can't decide if I like it with or without the border best... it looks good both ways. Can't believe how much Thor has grown!

whyducks said...

Great!

TH said...

Thanks for the Thor & Joe update. Thor has grown so quickly!!! I am glad he has over protective parents now :) Oh yeah & btw....love your canvas also!

Deborah Wainwright said...

Love the colours to chose really subtle canvas fab! X

Betsy Skagen said...

I also love the stencilling. I only have a couple and definitely need to get more. Also that Lake Wanaka color is gorgeous. -Betsy at www.PaperCalliope.com

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Fab canvas, I love the background. The photos of the kitties are wonderful, I'm glad they're getting along.

Kay Wallace said...

Super creative background, Ellen. Love watching your develop it--first from light to dark, then from small to larger and larger elements. I have been learned so much from you, so a big THANK YOU for that. Thanks, too, for sharing your feline stories! ;-) Mwah! KayW

sara j said...

Again - very cool. The circles are just so cool...love the differnt sizes. Duh. Wish I had thought of that. LOL. Thanks for the inspiration.