Friday, February 7, 2014

Painted Collage File Folder Tutorial

Helloooo...

On Wednesday I shared some pix of a manila file folder I made - scroll down to next post if you missed it.  Today I wanted to share another folder, using the same stencil but in a different way, to make the reverse image of the same folder.


I started with a plain manila file folder and did a brayer painted background on the whole folder (just the outside).


Then I used Balzer Designs' Blazonry stencil (12x12) to trace the pod shapes onto lots of different collage papers.  I didn't think about it, I just grabbed all the collage papers I had - some were stamped on, some were just painted, some had scribbles on them.


I traced, and traced, and traced, and then cut out each pod - I needed 24 full pods and several partial pods to fill the front of the folder....



Then I arranged them on the folder in the same pattern as the stencil.  But this time, instead of having the background show through in the pod shapes, the pods themselves are all different, and even though they are all sorts of colors, it sort of works!


Then it was time to collage them all in place - matte medium was my best friend (I ran out of my favorite Glue 'N' Seal, but had some Golden matte medium in reserve and it worked beautifully.

Once all the pods were in place, I used my Stabilo All pencil (black) to outline each pod, and then traced over the outlines with a detail waterbrush to give some shadows and the look of dimension.


Here is the finished result and some close ups...





I see some more file folders in my future!  Thanks to my friend Patti Parrish for the inspiration! Click HERE to see Patti's folders on her blog, Inky Obsessions.

Have a great weekend!  I hope to be back next week with more to share!

~ ellen.

12 comments:

Helen said...

Ellen this looks fabulous, I love those pods - but that's some cutting and glueing...

annekescardart said...

What a wonderful idea. The results are beautiful. Thanks for showing Anneke.
www.annekescardart.blogspot.com

Hazel Agnew said...

I ordered this stencil after your last post and received it today. So now I have 2projects to add to my list. This one has a lovely tribal shields feel to it. Love it!

Betsy Skagen said...

I seriously love this. It is so unusual and creative.
-Betsy at PaperCalliope.com

Patti Parrish said...

ooohhhhh, I love this one. Did you seal it after you finished it?

patcrafts said...

Awesome, thanks for sharing would be good on my dylusion journal cover

bellefrogworks said...

I have a ton (slight exaggeration) of manila folders - a lot anyway. You've inspired me!

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Wow, that looks wonderful, such a great idea.

cheiron said...

Great folder and great mix of patterns!

cheiron said...

Great folder and great mix of patterns!

sara j said...

This is SOOOO cool! What a great use of those papers.

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow absolutely fantastic tutorial and really awesome project. I love the pops of colour and what a brilliant way to use up all those scraps. Kezzy :-) xxx