Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Reduction Stenciling

Hello!

Back again to share some more of my stenciling adventures from the weekend... I've been a big follower of Dina Wakley and was lucky enough to take some classes with her at The Queens Ink. Click HERE to see my blog post from the classes.  One of the techniques we learned was what Dina calls "reduction stenciling".  For some reason I remembered it over the weekend and decided to give it another try!

I started by building up some painty brayered layers, stenciled a small diamond pattern over the whole sheet, and then added some collage pieces.  Most of my collage pieces come from brayer clean-up sheets and random scraps.  Sometimes I stamp over them, or draw patterns onto them.


I added some more collage pieces over the first layer, and then was stumped how to move forward... that's when I remembered the reduction stenciling.  It's a little scary to try because you have to paint a dark color over your whole piece first - yikes!  I decided to go for it...

I brayered some Paynes Grey paint over the whole piece, gave it a *very* quick blast with the heat tool (NOT to dry it completely, just to get it to the "tacky" stage).  Then you lay your stencil over top and use a baby wipe to wipe over the open areas of the stencil, revealing the bright colors underneath, and leaving you with a negative image of the stencil design... LOVE it!


Well, I liked the first piece so much I just had to do another!  This time I altered a plain manila file folder - I've always had a fascination with office/school supplies, and a custom arty file folder is just the ticket to keeping the day-job a little more interesting... Here's the results... file folder opened up...


and here's some closer shots so you can see the details a little better.




If you want to see Dina in action doing this technique click HERE to see a full demo from her debut as Ranger's newest signature designer at CHA!  So happy for her.

Take care til next time....

~ ellen.


7 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, Ellen, these look amazing!! I too am a big fan of Dina's - I must give this a go..

annekescardart said...

This looks great.Thanks for showing Anneke.
www.annekescardart.blogspot.com

Martha Richardson said...

Thanks for sharing, now on my must try list :)

Hazel Agnew said...

Fabulous Ellen and fresh inspiration which is always welcome. X

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan said...

Very cool!

Kay Wallace said...

More amazing work, Ellen! You have my mind whirling...again! Thanks and a big Mwah! KayW

Clare Lloyd said...

Love this!